Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memom27

Pest Spraying Program

memom27
18 years ago

In SE Georgia most towns have a regular spraying program that reduces the population of mosquitoes, gnats and other flying bug enemies. Just checking to see if anyone who doesn't benefit from living "in town" has tried a spraying program to reduce the population of flying bugs? I have no aversion whatsoever to whatever type of napalm I need to use. Any suggestions are welcome and will be tried immediately!

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

The vast majority of flying insects are hugely beneficial. Arial abatements programs do very little to reduce the populations of adult mosquitoes and nothing to kill the larvae. These broad-spectrum chemicals are hazardous to the health of children, nursing mothers, the elderly, pets, birds, benefical insects, and anyone with a compromised immune system or liver function problems.

Just which of the 'flying bugs' are a problem for you? Maybe we can help with some effective and smart solutions.

• memom27
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the precautions. They are valid and noble, however, constant daily exposure to biting midges,biting shad gnats, and just plain old "gets in my eyes, ears and nose gnats", (actually mosquitoes are just a side irritation), quickly corrupts notions of taking the high road to perserving a balance of nature. We are cautious and smart landowners in a rural area. My primary goal was to find someone in this area, SE Georgia, who may have made some inroad on the problem. But, ALL suggestions are welcome.

18 years ago

I lived in Beaufort, SC for over 20 years and am intimately aware of all of the annoyance insects. I repeat very firmly, without attempting to be noble at all, that broadspectrum abatement programs do very little to control the populations of those insects. I've watched potential buyers swat frantically at their ankles and fan their faces while bidding on that perfect waterfront lot only to complain bitterly that they can't use their patio ten months out of the year.

ALL of these critters breed in the water (salt or fresh) where sprays are not supposed to be used. However, having lived and worked on barrier islands and other water front properties, I can tell you that much of the 'napalm' is offloaded right there.....over the marsh and waterfront. To no avail.

Larvacides are the answer but few communites are willing to retrofit their spraying equipment in order to apply those readily available products. As for Beaufort, what on earth would they do with their completely refurbished WWII plane that drops thousands of gallons over prime marshfront property on a regular basis?

Your choices are simple. Poison the water with broadspectrum chemicals. Apply specific natural larvacides. Spray the area with broadspectrum chemicals and hope you find a few of the annoying little buggers, but watch afterwards as all of the other things flutter to the ground. Find some good personal repellants. Learn to live with them.

18 years ago

Oh, I forgot! Though I've lived here in Huntsville for nearly three years, I still find myself swatting at imaginary gnats on occasion. Can't believe that I actually live in a 'gnat-free' place! I miss the Lowcountry dearly, but adore being able to sit outside any time I want to......and not be eaten alive.

• nandina
    18 years ago

rhizo 1,
    The Low Country dearly misses you, too! Plentiful rains are providing copious clouds of gnats and mosquitoes this spring. I have not found any spray program that works against them. Rather, one must 'dress' for the garden. My fashionable garden attire is socks, long pants, light weight long sleeve shirts and a hat over which is draped a piece of fine tulle which is secured around my neck with a clothes pin. Works for me.

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I live in a rural area of Sumter South Carolina that does spray. Doesn't do any good. This must be why the rich plantation owners used to send thier families to the mountains in the summer.
    My nieghbor and I were just commenting tonight on how the mosquitoes right now are like something out of a horror movie.

I use buckets of Skin So Soft on my hubby, myself, and the dog. When I had children living at home I made them come in when the evening was near. We do still have cases of equine encephalitis in humans every year in South Carolina.

As an ex-horse owner I appeal to all horse owners to get your horses routinely vaccinated - not only to protect the horses, but your family and friends who live nearby.