Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Battling Wind

Posted by inthewind Outer Banks, NC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 11:50

I just moved to the Outer Banks from Central Pennsylvania. I live just off the Sound in Kill Devil Hills (Colington Harbour). I'm trying to start some veggies on the deck, but the wind blows the seedlings over. Does anyone have any suggestions for wind blocks? I'd like to start a raised garden, but I'm afraid everything will get blown over in the next storm. I've looked at bamboo fences, but I'm not sure how well they would work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Battling Wind

That's a tough one. I'd start them inside and get them fairly strong before setting them out. I've also read that you can put a fan on them to build up there strength before setting them out. A think I posted a link on wind and container plants. Hope it worked out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind and containers

o
RE: Battling Wind

I posted a reply earlier but for some reason it didn't show up. Anyway, I live in Colingwood and I am a bit more protected than you are. I love the idea of the bamboo screening fence though. It sounds like it would be lovely! Is it blowing the actual containers over? I started hollyhock seedlings in paper cups last year which I tightly packed into a frame. Then I moved them into the ground. Now that they are in the garden I can't forget the importance of staking and tomato cages around here. I even stake my callas or they'll blow over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here