Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryleek_ar

Pecan nuts - where on branch in relation to tassels?

maryleek_AR
19 years ago

We have a pecan tree that has never produced a pecan. It has been planted about six years and was probably two or three years old when purchased. It has many tassels this year and has been fed, etc., as recommended by the nursery where we purchased it.

IF it does produce a pecan, where on the branch would it grow in relation to the tassels? I've never actually seen a pecan on a tree in an early stage of development so don't know where to watch for the little nuts on the tree. We only have the one tree, purchased and planted for my 91 year young dad for his birthday some years ago. God love him, he didn't live to see it develop into the handsome tree it is today but he enjoyed the process while he could. I don't even know the variety, as it was in the fall when I went looking for it and this plant had been damaged above the root graft and no one wanted to purchase it. The nursery had potted it up and there it sat. It had lost it's tag so the owner wasn't certain of the variety, only that it would be one of the ones with an Indian name. I just wanted a pecan tree with some size on it, for my dad. So, I can't look up anything about this particular variety as I don't know what it is. It's very healthy now, beautifully shaped and getting quite large. There are pecan trees in the neighborhood, so I'm hoping it will be pollinated. I suppose there is a possibility it will not "like" the other pecan trees and that will be ok too. It served the purpose of providing my dad with a lot of joy. I'm just curious to see if it will produce a pecan and don't know where to watch for the little nuts.

So sorry to go on but I'm sure you probably wonder why I'd be asking about a tree when I should know about it, based on having purchased and planted it. Just wanted to explain why I don't know much about it and pecans in general. I've searched on line, but photo's of developing pecans seem to be scarce.

My thanks for any information you might be able to share.

~Mary

Comments (4)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions