Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a pond at the coast

Posted by arauquoia z7b GA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 12:47

I'm digging out in an existing depression that is naturally wet most of the year to create a small pond. This is, maybe, 600 feet inland from the ocean.

I've reached the water table and now have the beginnings of a small pond. The initial smell is that of rotten eggs, which I believe comes from bacteria that live in oxygen-deprived mud. But I expect that to change over time as the water becomes oxygenated.

Plants that I have tried -- even plants used to water such as bald cypress -- seem to suffer. I'm trying to come up with an explanation.

Would these plants be adversely affected by anaerobic water (which I expect will change over time)?

Could it be that the water is brackish? Would the water table that far inland still be salty?

I'd appreciate your thoughts in figuring this out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a pond at the coast

That's not very far from the ocean, especially if the soil is sandy. I expect that the water is brackish. It's close enough to be affected by the tidal push. Some plants are extremely sensitive to salt.

Is your house new? Is it a possibility that it was built on filled in marsh land? Are you having problems with any other plants in your yard?

o
RE: Making a pond at the coast

600 feet is NOTHING! Your plants are totally being affected by the salt in the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here