Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcaren_gw

easy to grow edibles in shady/moldy climate?

mcaren
11 years ago

Hi -- I've not posted in years and might give this gardening thing another go... We've tried organic container/small garden growing on and off for about 7 years with minimal success. Our yard has lots of tree cover and the soil is fairly acidic (tons of azaleas -- they do very well...). Gardenwise, our two successes have been basil (a surprise, but very leafy [leggy, but I can live with that...]), and butternut squash. The squash was a surprise; all of our curbits succumb to what I think is powdery mildew and squash vine borers, but not the butternut -- and it seems to still bear fruit successfully even when the leaves turn whitish/gray with mold... Most other plants barely make it -- they become leggy from lack of sunlight and/or just don't produce much (we've tried potatoes, eggplant, peppers, carrots, and lettuce). Our tomatoes were wilty (Verticillium Wilt?) and not good. We've composting, but even adding compost doesn't seem to improve things when there are so many bug, fungii and shade issues (we've been getting at least 3 generations of squash vine borers in a summer). Are there any other easy growers you can suggest? I've gotten weary of the battle but would like to gather something in a basket :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions