Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brother moved to Charleston

Posted by diene Z4ME (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 16:38

I am heading to Charleston next week to help my brother and sister in law with the landscaping of their new home and I am really out of my elements. Looking for suggestions for perennials that would be hardy, easy care but not too invasive. Also would love to experiment with some things that I cannot grow. Are Camelia's a good choice? What should I avoid? Thanks, diene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brother moved to Charleston

My advice is that you spend a couple of days evaluating the conditions on site for drainage, sunny and shady spots, etc......and then visiting some of the GREAT privately owned garden centers in the area to look at their displays and landscaping. Stay away from the big box stores.

Be sure to cross the bridge and visit Abide-Awhile in Mt. Pleasant. Fabulous place for inspiration. Hyams in Charleston is another good one. There are others, plenty of them. Don't be shy about telling the staff where you're from and that you need some real southern help.

Drive around and take pictures of what you like in the garden centers and in the neighborhood. If the neighborhood pictures are decent, you can have them identified at the garden centers or in the Name that Plant Forum here in the GardenWeb.

And yes, Camellias are a very traditional, iconic Charleston plant. Some of the oldest camellias in the country can be found on Middleton Plantation. They prefer a place with dappled or light shade.

o
RE: Brother moved to Charleston

I live in Charleston, SC. I agree with rhizo. There are a variety of exquisite ferns which grow well in shade or partial shade. And there is the iconic oleanders, which come in so many colors. You probably know about azaleas, bishop's cap, plumaria,and passionflower. There are so many here which are almost tropical. Do try to tour the gardens in the inner city to get ideas -- a stroll in the Battery neighborhood, on Church street, down the tiny alleys, etc. The city has special garden tours, also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here