Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_dabber

pretty porches, anyone?

Dirt_Dabber
21 years ago

My screened porch with concrete floor is very unattractive despite my 2 white rockers, white slatted end table, and round white table with 6 chairs (all plastic). Does anyone have any good suggestions for plants that would help beautify the area which gets extremely hot and humid during the summer months. It is on the east side of my house.

Thanks

Carol

Comments (13)

• Cindy_Mac
    21 years ago

East side meaning morning sun? My front porch faces east. It's home to ferns (one in a hanging basket the other in a large pot), spider plants (both are in pots, but would work great in hanging baskets), and a cast iron plant.

• mrskjun
    21 years ago

I also have lots of ferns, and begonias, which love the heat give lots of color and variety also.

• fabkebab
    21 years ago

With a hot area and just morning sun (afternoon shade) you could probably create something quite nice with gingers.
    Hedychium likes a half a day of sun, and smells great when it blooms.

Thinking about it, maybe Gardenias would work well in that situation. I constantly dream of having empty garden spaces to fill with whatever I want!!

• bedazzled
    21 years ago

I have zz plant, peperomia, fuschias, impatients, devil's backbone, and a few unknown succulents on my porch..they are lush and lovely, easy care..bedazzled

• pagan
    21 years ago

my front porch faces due west, and is quite small. We rarely spend any time there, so I decorated simply, with an old oriental-style rug; a charleston-style bench, and some birdhouses. I have seen 1 other person besides myself sit there, and that wasn't for long - it just gets too much sun and heat! Thus, the decor is for looks, but for comfort we go inside or around back to the screened porch! no plants except for a creeping-fig topiary form I started last christmas... I have enough other plants in the cottage garden to keep it from seeming sparse. I added a couple of wind chimes and was good to go - now I can ignore the heck out of it!

• magicboovoodoo
    20 years ago

My front porch is mostly shade except for early morning, and I keep ferns, philodendrons, Pothos, Swedish Ivy, Christmas Cactus (which blooms profusely when I bring it in,) Monstera deliciosa, Draceana, Snake Plant, begonias, and Alocasia. On my back porch which gets a lot of sun, some spot more than others, I grow coleus, spider plants, lysimachia, million bells, asparagus fern, sedums and aloes.
    Boo

• noodeler
    20 years ago

Passion Flower. It will climb all over the screen, and the flowers are unique and spectacular. There are several varieties. I just looked for it on the www and got this site... http://www.passionflower.org/

check it out. I only thought of it because last year I visited a friend who had some growing on her screen.... It was pretty cool.

• gardenspider09
    20 years ago

Our screened porch is facing east, too, and has some overhanging trees that only allow a few hours of filtered sun and make it even more humid. Some plants that are doing really well there are the Norfolk Island pine, bromeliads, Sago and some of those little neanthabella palms you get at the fruit stands along the highway. They're getting huge! And, of course, the fern is really happy. My next plant for the porch will be a lady palm, which should do well (I hope).

I would love to have a fuschia, but I'm afraid the heat would kill it. How hot does your porch get, bedazzled?

• fuzzy
    20 years ago

I'm just passing through, but this came to mind:

Have you ever thought about covering the floor with a rug or wooden planks? Might do a lot towards improving the look of the place.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    20 years ago

Dirt Dabber,
    Your porch sounds a lot like my front porch in that it has a concrete floor which I HATE. I don't think we could put wood planks there because of the porch rail but I do plan to get a rug made from outdoor carpet. It faces south but gets quite a bit of humidity so it will have to be something that can be sprayed down but anything will be better that that old concrete!

• flowergirl1211
    20 years ago

Hi all, My suggestion for the concrete floor is to paint it in like large type checkers. Whatever colors that suits your fancy.
    Linda

• ashli
    18 years ago

Speaking of porches...Do any of you know how to safely clean dirty with mildew, white wood porch posts? They have decorative corners.
    Some people call them columns.
    I can't afford to hire someone to clean and paint them right now and I'm not as agile as I once was...
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• joega
    16 years ago

I TOO HAVE A CEMENT PORCH..AND HATE THE FLOOR ALSO..MY PLANS ARE TO PAINT IT...AT FIRST I WANTED TO PAINT IT BRICK RED..BUT I GOT THIS GREAT IDEA FROM A DECORATORS MAGAZINE ( NOY SURE WHICH ONE AT THE MOMENT ) BUT THEY MADE A STENCIL THAT LOOKED LIKE ROCK ( DIFFERENT SHAPES ) AND DID IT SEVERAL SHADES OF GRAYS??BROWNS??..LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A STONE FLOOR..

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions