Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brussel sprout blooms but no sprouts...

Posted by ncstockguy Zone7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 20:11

The brussel sprouts we planted last fall are now around 3 feet tall and covered with yellow blooms, but no sprouts for eating. We haven't grown these before....will they just go to seed now, or are the sprouts still to come?
Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brussel sprout blooms but no sprouts...

I'm not sure about the timing of your planting. Cold temperatures strongly induce flowering in these plants. I'm not even sure that removal of the flower stalk could have prevented this process.

Once this plant flowers heavily and goes to seed, it will no longer devote energy to bud (sprout) development. Seems like these plants should be planted in the late summer for fall harvest or in the early spring for summer harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brussel sprouts ready to harvest.

o

Thanks. Ours never had anything resembling the load of brussel sprouts in that picture. I must have planted these too late. They survived the winter OK but never had any sprouts. Will now harvest the seeds and try again in August.

o

If you planted a nice hybrid cultivar, then I suggest against harvesting seeds for a future crop. Your plants will not develop true from the seed.

Take a look at your local planting guides carefully. In your area, you will want to plant so that you are HARVESTING in the fall/winter...........or in the late spring. You don't want your plants to overwinter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here