Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoffman2_gw

Weed Control of Florida Bettany

hoffman2
19 years ago

My entire yard is being taken over by Florida Bettany a spindly weed that grows about 2 ft tall and has purple flowers. I have been successful with controlling them in my lawn with Weed B Gone however I am reluctant to use it among my flowers. I have a mix of bulbs and annuals and do not want to disturb them. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

I used Atrizine and applied it with a sponge so it would only get the betony leaves...
    I followed the directions for the Atrizine mixture and put it in a bucket. I wore thick latex gloves too.

Results are still pending, but this was what the garden center recommended.

Good luck with this viscious invasive pest!!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

Dig, dig, dig. Pull, pull, pull. At least it dies down in the heat. It finds competing with tough, spreading perennials difficult. I'm not inclined to try to control with chemicals, so it's always here, but I keep digging and pulling.

Nell

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

So glad this question was asked. Never noticed this horrible evil weed in our yard until last Fall..then suddenly it was everywhere!
    Can't get rid of it. It has taken over half our backyard and the entire north side of our frontyard. Anyone who has been even half way successful with removing this pest from their yard, please tell us what you did.
    It hasn't been too bad in my flower beds...I remove it as I see it. But you have to pull ALL of the root out. That means following its trail until there is nothing left to pull.

• athagan
    19 years ago

Sheer bloody minded persistence in pulling the stuff out anywhere, anytime it shows itself.

Nothing much else is going to work short of mass area attacks a la Agent Orange.

.....Alan.

• Natskidive
    19 years ago

I too have a big problem with this weed and was to by the county extension office to use Atrazine. I'll pretty much be spraying about 1 1/2 acres with it in about 2 weeks.

• stevied
    18 years ago

I found that multiple sprayings with atrazine, approx. 2 weeks apart, helped me. Expect to spray at least 3 times. Also, 24-D seems to be about equally effective, at least in my experience.

I also dig a lot of it out by hand.

I agree that Florida Betony is hard to get rid of.

• serenoa
    18 years ago

In my sandy soil, Florida betony is only a problem where I improve the soil with compost and mulch. Dollar weed loves these garden areas too but is easier to pull up. Oh well, anything that makes my garden plants grow well makes the weeds grow too. I'm with FoxesEarth, I'm not taking a chance with herbicides in my flower beds - I plant the flower beds heavily and control the weeds by hand.

• little_lilly
    17 years ago

Does anyone know of an organic or non-pesticide solution to eliminate Florida Bettany? It has taken over my ENTIRE backyard and I cannot pull it all up by hand. HELP!

• taxonomist
    17 years ago

FIRST Of all I'd like to know what Florida Bettany or Betony is--the current botanical name?
    Second; most people seem not to know that most lawn weed killers, especially those containing 2,4-D or a related product kill only dicotyledons; monocotyledons are not affected. Thru this reasoning, a flower bed containing Irisis, Lilies, grasses, or Hostas may be sprayed with a "Lawn Weed Killer" without harming these plants. Broad-leaved plants as Lobelias, Roses, Daisies, etc will be zapped.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

check out these pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Betony- rattlesnake weed

Sponsored
More Discussions