Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinn80

EASY care...

erinn80
21 years ago

Do any of you grow Sedum? It is sooo easy to grow and so pretty too. It's also really nice because they multiply so quickly, we started with four and now we have at least 25, and we've given some away! I was wondering if any of you knew of any other easy care plants that grow so well... I love to have all sorts of plants, but my time is so limited now that I can't really tend to them all as I should! Any suggestions would be great.

Erinn

Comments (10)

• rockysox
    21 years ago

Viola hederacea is a good one for shade; spreads by runners. Ajuga reptans also spreads fairly quickly by runners and will grow in sun or shade. For full sun Prunella laciniata spreads very quickly by both runners and seed. All are easy care for me.

• Dirt_Dabber
    20 years ago

Lanium and trailing vinca grow well together. and both spread rapidly. Grow in sun-part shade. Make wonderful ground cover or large container plants, and the lanium will bloom in Feb. here in this area.

Carol

• teatimer
    20 years ago

Last summer was my first time with sedum. It grew quite tall and fell over. This year it came back nicely but I wondered if it was supposed to be cut back to keep it from getting too tall. Appreciate any help.

Audrey

• erinn80
    Original Author
    20 years ago

We cut ours back to like an inch or so above the ground. Sometimes they get a little tall at the end of the Summer or in the Fall, but I don't remember them falling over. Mine have almost formed a small hedge this year, which is nice since it gives the bed a clean edge. They also seem to get taller when they are in full sun and bushier in part shade. I don't know if that's a fact or if it just happened that way in my yard, but you might want to try part shade and see what happens.

Erinn

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

easy care plants for me: German Irises, daylilies, Pemstimmon, Batista Australis (blue and white false indigo), variety of Verbenas, Veronikas (including the roundcover Georgia blue), Columbines, Astilbes (if you plant in a moist part of your yard), Alstromeria, Larkspurs as soonaas you succeeded going them once, Oxalis, Tibouchina (in moist soil), coreopsis, mexican hat (it spreads a bit too much), iceplant - jut to name a few

• loves_roses
    20 years ago

thanks, mikimacko!
    i've heard that lantana is easy, but i killed some a few years ago and haven't fooled with any since. what does sedum look like?
    thanks!

• Tonies4
    20 years ago

There are many types of sedums that is absolutely beautiful. My fav so far is Sedum Autumn joy because of its color that it provides throughout the year. I have at least 8 different types of sedums in my gardens. I planted some Agave with my sedums and created a succulent garden that is full and rich with color. Another plant that loves the coastal areas is Gallederia and Gaura. Both of these plants are easy to grow and will fill in areas with bright colors. Here is my web page so you can see what some of the plants look like. I don't have many sedums in the front yard except around the mailbox, ..maybe later I will add my sedum garden if you would like to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My home page

• cheesy
    20 years ago

Ice plant is easy to grow and spreads rapidly. In the spring I plant cuttings of it directly into wherever I want them to grow, and they have had 100% rooting.

• cheryl7b
    20 years ago

I threw away some old potting mix into a new garden bed and evidently it had some ice plant seeds in it and it produced an abundance of flowers the first season. Their so delicate and the foliage is very nice.

• mary_j
    19 years ago

last year I planted the gaura and wasn't sure if I should prune it back. The garden center I bought it at said to do so. It lookedlike it was showing some greem toward the root. My neighbor said she went through 2 of them due to not coming back the next year. Is there something wrong we are doing? It is a very pretty plant and would like to know more about them.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions