Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightstorm_gw

What Are Good Climbing Roses For Beginners?

MidnightStorm
18 years ago

I am planning to buy a backyard arbor soon and I would like to get ideas on some types of climbing roses that would work well in coastal Wilmington, North Carolina. I am right on the edge of Zone 7 and Zone 8. I am a beginning gardener so I am looking for something that is not to difficult to grow and not especially prone to disease in our humid climate.

The spot I am thinking of using will get morning sun and then dappled sun in the afternoon. This will change to shade in the late afternoon and shade on into the evening. I could probably pick a different spot in my yard though if a different type of light is needed for a particular rose.

Equally as important to me, I am looking for something very pretty that will drape over and hang down gracefully from the arbor. Something that looks very romantic. I really like purples and maybe pinks or yellows. I'm not so much into oranges and reds.

I am posting this message on May 4, 2005. Can I plant my roses anytime? Or do I need to wait until a certain time of the year?

As this will be my first attempt with roses, I would love to hear from some of you more experienced gardeners, especially those who are familiar with growing roses in my area.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (15)

• obxgina
    18 years ago

I've had really good luck with Lady Banks Climbing Roses. They grow fast, can be planted now and come in yellow (for sure) and maybe white. I live on the Outer Banks and they grow nicely here. Gina

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My sister-in-law also said I might want to try the Lady Banks roses. I'll definitely look them up on the internet and see what they look like, etc. Thank you for your suggestion!

• CaseysMom
    18 years ago

Zepherine Drouhin...

• AngelTrumpeteer
    18 years ago

Zepherine Drouhin! You should check out micimacko's garden. She's in Wilmington. She has ALOT of roses. Lady Banks is a once bloomer. Zeffy has at least 2 flushes and with encouragement (the right fertilizer) even more.

• MMP8516
    18 years ago

I planted a couple of Don Juans last year and they did great in sun circumstances similiar to yours. They are a deep red and gorgeous!

• mrskjun
    18 years ago

I have several climbers, the ones that impress me the most are Rev d Or, and Climbing Clotilde Soupert. Both had so many blooms this year you could barely see the foliage.
    Amd both are repeat bloomers.

Betty

• idixierose
    18 years ago

Ditto what Betty said.

Two other no-spray climbers are Cl. Cecile Brunner (pink, spring bloomer) and New Dawn.

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Everyone:

Thanks so much to all of you for these great suggestions! I'm going to look up all the varieties you've mentioned. I'm such a beginner that I don't even know what it means when you say 'no spray' roses. . . . . does that mean not having to spray pesticides for problems?

Thanks!
    Linda

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops. . . . forgot to ask something. . . what is difference between climbing roses and rambling roses?

Linda

• CaseysMom
    18 years ago

One is a song by Nat King Cole...

snort!!

• ntswhite
    18 years ago

DON JUAN IS BEAUTIFUL AND EASY.

• wilmington_islander
    18 years ago

i have been reading this thread for a while and will finall chime in: I simply cannot beleive that no one has mentioned "Joesephs coat" yet. It climbs vigorously, is disease and fungal resistant in extremely humid climates, blooms in gorgeous flushes, and changes colors as the flower ages, hence the name. It will give you yellow, pink, red and orange...all from the same flower on different days.

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the last couple of suggestions here: Don Juan and Joseph's Coat. I'm going to look up those two roses on the internet and read about them. This forum is such a great way for beginners to find out things from people in the know !

Linda

• shanklemsw
    18 years ago

Since you are in Zone 8, you should really look at Reve d'Or. It's a beautiful noisette, which does well in our 8 climate, reblooms like crazy if you dead head it and smells great. Mine stops traffic. Good luck.

Sue

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Good luck with your roses Midnightstorm. I agree with Dixierose, New Dawn is a winner. Hence my name, new dawn.

......Jane

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions