Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shau4414

sky pencil

shau4414
18 years ago

I wonder it someone can help me, I planted sky pencil and Japanese holly and the leaves have turned brown and and are dropping. I think sky pencil is a type of holly also. I wonder what kind of diseases these types of hollys may be susceptible to? I think what I did wrong is let some soil splash onto the leaves when I watered, maybe giving them some type of soil borne fungus? Should I keep them as container plants? Not all the leaves have been affected, they are really looking ratty. Thanks Julie

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

You need to be more specific about 'ratty'! Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' is a terrific plant, isn't it? Yep, it's another japanese holly. I'm crazy about it. Splashing soil on it would not cause problems, but planting too deeply can. Of course, we don't know if you've been watering it enough, and all that. Does the soil drain well?

I've been specifying these plants fairly frequently lately, and have seen no problems with transplant shock (which is something of a myth). I went back to visit some that were installed last year and they have done beautifully.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

They sure are expensive $$$ !!

• WannaBGardener
    18 years ago

So how are your sky pencil's doing now? We planted ours two years ago, and the first few months after planting they looked "sick" but later in the summer recovered and now are real nice. Loads of blooms on them this spring and now little green berries. It's my favorite holly. They are a bit pricey, but worth the cost if you need a slim evergreen for a small area.

• shau4414
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My sky pencil aren't doing well, one is completely gone the other is in the process of dying or it looks to be. About half of the bush is dead the limbs are brittle and snap right in two so they are dead, but there is some new growth so who knows. Time will tell. Julie

• soccerfan
    17 years ago

I'm having a similar experience where parts of the shrub are dying. I have sprayed with Malathion a couple of times in the last 2 weeks, but still having parts of the shrub dying.

I have 3 of these in my front yard, they are mulched and have been watered adequately. Since they are on the north side of our house, there's no need to water the shrubs too frequently.

I wonder if I need to spray the plants with Diazinon?

• wannab
    17 years ago

Hummmmm, what is it with this sky pencil holly? We had two of them. One died after the first year, and the other one had to be yanked out this year. (it hung on for three years) They were very nice plants when we purchased them, but was a steady down hill decline after that till they died. Others that I have noticed in the neighborhood are on the way out also. And yes, they were expensive.

• au_hotrod
    15 years ago

I have about 18 of these sky pencils in my front yard. Most of them are doing very well with medium to full sun and regular drip irrigation watering. I do have two of them that seem to have some kind of fungus that is killing them slowly. The fungus is a very fine white felty growth on most of the leaves and even stocks. Does anyone know what diseases or fungus the sky pencil is succeptable to and how to treat them? Thank you, Rodney

• thymekeeper
    15 years ago

Fungus is easy to get rid of by spraying with a fungicide. In the winter you can use a dormant oil. Mix in garden sprayer and spray on. Most of the time you'll have to spray every 7 - 10 days for 2 to 4 weeks. Usually, the fungus is due to low air circulation and high moisture or humidity.

• prmody
    10 years ago

I have two of them. One of them grew about 2 feet in last one and half year. The other one grew about 2 inches in the same time. Both of them have some flowers seasonally and green leafs. I am just amazed that the plant has not grown in two years but is not dead/damaged either. Any thoughts how can I make it grow? Thanks!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions