Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

For South Carolinians....info and important phone number!

nandina
19 years ago

Two things on my mind today....

1. Would those of you experiencing white scale on your magnolias coupled with a heavy yellow leaf drop this spring please check in. The fallen leaves will have little black spots all over them. I am curious to know how extensive the problem is here in the coastal south. More information on treatment later.

2. I talked with Clemson today on several matters. Brought up the subject of Sudden Oak Death (SOD). Was told that none has been found in SC. nurseries or in the State yet.

Clemson assured me that the SOD problem has been over exaggerated. This old timer has heard statements like that before only to see all h*** break loose. The first one was a long time ago when no one was interested in checking out those caterpillars climbing up and down a few trees. "Nothing to worry about", they said. Boy, did they worry when the Gypsy moth started travelling!

No, we do not need to panic about SOD. But, we do need to be alert and educated on the subject. This is where Garden clubs can play a valuable role. There is tons of information on the web re SOD.

What plant signs should make you suspicious that SOD might be present?

1. Oaks, or perhaps another type of tree, suddenly wilts overnight or within a few days. This includes very mature trees.

2. Watch for sunken cankers on the stems of Camellias, Pieris japonica, Azaleas, Strawberry tree (Arbutus uendo),....you will find a listing on the web of plants prone to SOD. You may also note a bit of tip wilting on those plants with cankers. Important....there are other canker problems that can infect these shrubs. Just because you find cankers does not mean the shrub is infected with SOD. Chances are that it probably isn't.

However....if you spot something that makes you suspect SOD Clemson's Dept. of Plant Industry has set up groups of field representives around the State who, when notified of a potential SOD problem will personally check the suspect plant. That phone number is......1-864-646-2130. Save this phone number and make certain that your gardening groups have it handy.

Clemson is on top of the SOD situation and watching carefully. However, the informed gardener should the time to study web information and stay alert. None of us want to loose our grand old Live oaks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions