Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlusk_gw

Nurseries in New Orleans area

jlusk
21 years ago

Hi, I would like to know if anyone can tell me where I can find nurseries in the N.O. area that sell more exotic stuff, not just the same-old, same-old. About the only one I know of is Banting's, which seems to have everything and is very reasonably priced. I live in Slidell, so places in Mandeville/Covington, etc. would be good, too. Places like Perino's in Metairie and Garden Spot in Slidell have beautiful healthy plants, but they are very expensive and they only carry a limited number of species.

Comments (4)

• danbo
    21 years ago

Hi. I'm on the Mississippi Coast. About 20 miles east of Slidell. Lived in NO for years.

It's been years since I've been to Bantings. Just don't get down that way. You might try American Aquatic Gardens or is it Louisiana Aquatic Gardens on Elysian Field, mabe 3 or 4 blocks off the river. In many ways like Perino's only smaller and geared more toward water gardens. Not extensive, but they sometimes have some interesting stuff. I've seen great selections of Louisiana Irises there.

Also a nursery up in Lacombe (Forgot the name. On US 190, Left side of the road, for you, maybe two miles from the bayou. They have what I consider a pretty extensive selection. A lot of regular stff. But if you weed through it. There is some interesting stuff. Especiall if you get in the back. Away from the impatients etc.

If you haven't. You might want to check out the Cosby Arb. over in Picayune. Every 3 months or so they have a plant sale. A great place for natives. As native azelias etc. But you have to get there as early as you can. It can get picked over pretty quick.

Otherwise there are a lot of small places Like Rain Tree in Pass Christian that routinely have a few gems mixed in with the pansies, marigold etc. (They got me a Russelia eq. and I found a scarlet flame, and some interesting bromiliads there. And a place north of I-10 that specializes in day lilies.

I have a thing for gingers (butterfly and curcuma). And have not found a reliable good selection locally. But believe it or not found some interesting stuff on ebay. Also found a mexican sago palm and coontie seeds there.

Regardless, it is fun hunting for interesting and unusual plants.

Happy hunting.

• Cassies_Mom
    21 years ago

Paul Bounds in Picayune has had a few different plants the few times I've been there. This year I've been lucky and found some different things at the K-Mart in Slidell, though now they seem to be starting to slow down their garden section. I was in there yesterday and was thinking that I'll soon see them setting up Christmas things!!!!!

• danbo
    21 years ago

As you live in Slidell. I found a pretty good place in Waveland this weekend. Open recently. It's just off the Kiln/Waveland road. (Exit 2 of I-10) It's on the left, a block north of US 90. On th side street but can be seen from the Kiln Waveland road.

They had a selection that suprised me. Including many heliconia, lovely large birds of paradise, as well as plants more suited to our area. You may want to try them.

Take care.

• zao275
    20 years ago

Try Talen's on West ENd Blvd. It's a nice little family owned place. Never bought their but I looked around.

jerad

Sponsored
More Discussions