Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesleyanne

why did my lantana die?

WesleyAnne
18 years ago

I have tried to plant lantana on Bald Head Island, NC, but I have had no luck. Lantana seems to thrive all over the island, just not in my yard! The only reason I can figure that mine have all died is because the beds are typically covered in a pine mulch on Bald Head, something that I have never done. Could this be the reason my lantana died? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Comments (9)

• lauriewood
    18 years ago

Did you cut it back in the fall? Lantana have hollow stems that if it is a rainy winter, being cut back will sometimes cause it to rot. It is best to prune in spring.

• WesleyAnne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We did not cut them back in the fall, but thanks for the advice :)

• lisa455
    18 years ago

I know that they will only come back from hard woody growth where I live. I have lost rooted cuttings that way. If you planted them too late in the season and the growth was green when it freezes or frosts they will not make it. Take some cuttings this summer from your neighbors, they are very easy to root and overwinter them this winter in pots (take then in when it freezes) and plant them next spring. Also, make sure your drainage is good. Otherwise, they are carefree.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

In some areas, Lantana is treated an annual, and replanted fresh every year. The plants are inexpensive, and can be found everywhere....so this might be what you are seeing. Newly planted lantana, rather than last year's making a come back. Just a thought.

• Datawgal
    18 years ago

Another thought - the pine mulch covering those other beds is conserving moisture. Could your beds have become too dry? This is not unusual in windy, coastal areas.

• WesleyAnne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I feel like the reason they die has to be b/c of a lack of moisture in the sand or that lantanas are annuals where I am. The only thing is (remember I'm new to gardening)many of the lantana I have seen on the island have been pretty large, if they were replanted every year wouldn't the plants always be fairly small? I guess I should probably ask someone on the island about it.

• PeaBee4
    18 years ago

There is an hardy, old-timey variety that grows big, and does not seem to be bothered with winter kill. The leaves drop off, but the stems seem to survive just fine. They don't even need cutting back. That may be what you are seeing if the plants are large. Some of the new ones simply can't take low temps.

• sandyhill
    18 years ago

Mine usually come back, but I lost them all this year. Bad winter, salt, wind, I don't know...

Next year - more mulch.

• perryrip
    18 years ago

Folks,

I've planted Ms. Huff lantana here in Atlanta and so long as I dont cut them back in the fall they come back like gangbusters every spring. My only problem is their size if I don't trim them. Great for attracting hummingbirds, butterflys, etc.

perryrip

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions