Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for fragrant plants wanted.

Posted by
ormond-janni Zone 9
(gw:ormond-janni) on
Sun, May 28, 06 at 16:51

Hello,
I'd like to add fragrant plants to my patio garden. I don't have a lot of room, but was thinking of tuberoses, freesias &/or lilies of the valley. We do have salt in the breezes here and I don't know if they would be happy. Input, or suggestions for other frangrant plants would be appreciated.
Janni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for fragrant plants wanted.

• Posted by sprout z8b/9 Houston (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 8:37

I highly recommend Sweet Almond Verbena (Aloysia virgata).

It is a great small tree/shrub that puts out wave after wave of white flowers all summer long that perfume your entire yard!! I think it smells like SweetTarts!. Very easy to grow; no pest problems and in your zone it will be hardy.

o

Tuberoses have grown OK for me and the fragrance is wonderful. Ditto for gingerlilies, tea olive, and angel trumpet (datura). (These all have a stronger smell at night.) Gardenias, too, of course but they're finicky.
Don't think lilies of the valley will work in your climate.

o

What about jasmines, I have confederate, maid of orleans, pink, night blooming. Fantastic fragrances.

Betty

o

Annual, Mirabilis Jalapa

Four O'Clocks. Bright trumpet shaped flowers. Four O'Clocks got their name because they open in mid-afternoon. They remain open overnight, and close in early morning. They will also remain open on cloudy days. They are also noted for their strong, pleasant fragrance.

Four O'Clock are typically grown from large seeds, making them easy to plant. They germinate quickly, and grow fast, up to 2-4 feet.

Four O'Clock prefer full sun, but will tolerate partial shade.

o

I agree on the Four O'Clocks. Ours are very fragrant from late afternoon well into the following morning, until they close up.
We have some seeds in case anyone wants to try them out, just a few we collected from our backyard garden.

o

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I haven't been here in a while, as I forgot the location of this forum - duh!
Yes, I have jasmine, both Confederate and varigated; but in the bigger area outside my patio. Might try to find that pink one. My angel trumpets and ginger are out there also. That sweet almond verbena sounds great, also.

As for Four-o-Clocks - last spring when I was at the nursery store I saw some seed for them and this slipped out of my mouth -"I never knew people grew them on purpose!" No, it's not that I don't like them, but I have them EVERYWHERE. They just grow and grow and grow. They drop seeds and get these huge turnip-type roots. I guess I'm just over blessed!
Janni

Here is a link that might be useful: Janni's garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here