Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pH testing of coastal sandy soils

Posted by vernvan 8b SE Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 05 at 18:36

I am trying to determine the pH of my soil to see if I need to ad lime for some of my plants, like peaches, figs and roses. I purchased a Rapitest pH Meter #1840.

I live in coastal Georgia about 500 feet from a tidal marsh. I tried testing my soil with the meter. I moved all debris from on top, drenched it with distilled water, inserted the probe, and it just barely moved up to maybe 7.25 pH. I have questions as to this being the pH, as my property has lots of mature azaleas and blue hydrangeas as well as mature 300 year old live oak trees and many southern yellow pine trees. None of these would do well in alkaline soil.

The soil is almost completely sand with a little organic material (no clay, silt or gravel). Coastal water table is maybe 6' deep. May be a lot of salts in the soil. How do I determine the actual pH? Or is this possibly the actual pH. I don't know much about the soils around here.

Vern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pH testing of coastal sandy soils

Take a sample of your soil (4 to 6 inches down) to your local extension office for a pH reading. They may do it for free right in the office.

o

vernvan,
Also, give your pH meter another try after you have lightly rubbed the probe with a very fine grain sandpaper or emory cloth. A 'coating' builds up on the probe and must be removed before the meter is used each time. Then you can compare your meter test results with the pH results given by your local extension office.

o

My property is close to the intercoastal waterway and salt marshes and my pH is all over the scale. At one end of my very small yard the hydrangeas are gorgeous blue while fifty feet away the same variety is soft pink. Just below the surface in the "pink end" of my yard are thick deposits of small sea shells and sea shells make soil alkaline. My guess is that a saltwater creekbed or stream ran through that part of my yard at one time while the other end was an island.

Maybe your yard is similar?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here