Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growing trees or NC coastal plains

Posted by ctponderbecky CT5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 18:56

We will be moving this summer from CT to our new home outside of Wilmington. We need some trees to enhance the buffer area between us and the golf course--under the tall pines. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growing trees or NC coastal plains

• Posted by ashef coastal NC z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 19:20

Without seeing the site, it's hard to recommend something specific. But I do think you'd be better off with large-ish deciduous shrubs rather than trees. Right off hand, I'd recommend pittosporum, bottle brush bush or maybe even gardenia.. They are all deciduous here and with TLC, would provide nice screening from the fairway fairly quickly. You should check with your homeowners association, though -- some HOAs, especially in Brunswick County, have very specific plant lists. Also, there's a wonderful nursery in Hampstead, just north of Wilmington, called "Pender Pines Nursery" that I'm sure would give you great advice once you move down. And fyi, the best time for planting here is in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here