Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Tell Me English Lavender Will Bloom in Coastal Carolina !

Posted by midnightstorm Zone 8a - Carolina (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 19:37

I have bought some Munstead Dwarf and Lady English Lavender plants. I followed all tips for growing lavender in humid climates (sunny spot, sandy/alkaline soil with gravel underneath to help drainage, light-colered pea grave mulch, plants spaced far apart and mounded).

After all that work, I just now came across a short article, written by someone who OWNS a lavender farm, that says that even if English Lavender makes it through the humid months of our southeastern summer, it may not bloom again next year. Their theory was that lavender may need cold winter temperatures in order to bloom.

Is this true? Does English lavender have to be grown like an annual in our area? Or have any of you had your English Lavender re-bloom? And, if so, do you have any tips for me as a first time lavender grower? Any specific kinds do better than others?

Thanks for your help :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Tell Me English Lavender Will Bloom in Coastal Caroli

Here is some information that might be of interest to you. BTW, problems with heat and humidity are a primary problem with growing lavender in the warmer parts of the south.

'Pete's Herbs' is on John's Island (SC).

Here is a link that might be useful: heat loving lavender information

o
RE: Please Tell Me English Lavender Will Bloom in Coastal Caroli

I was aware that humidity was a real problem in my area when trying to grow English Lavender but I hadn't heard the theory that lavender plants need a little bit of cold temps to bloom. I don't know if that's true or not. I'll check out the link right now.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here