Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit Trees Good For Charleston?

Posted by edacus (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 12:51

Recently moved back to Charleston area and live downtown near the Citadel. Any suggestions for a fruit tree that would do well, we aren't in a frequent flood area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit Trees Good For Charleston?

I did a lot of research on the Clemson Extention pages (on-line). As a result I planted Arkansas Black and Fuji apples along with two others that I can't remember the names of now.

However those apples were selected based on Clemson's recommendations for the S.C. midlands. Thier papers take a lot of 'wading through' to decipher all of the information but it is a great resource because you can find information very specific to your area.

I have also planted a peach and plum and I have since learned that, while they will thrive in this area, consistently getting a good crop will be difficult unless I want to be a slave to spraying and assorted chemicals.

Pear trees in this area seem to do very well with a minimum of care. I have seen several that recieve NO care whatsoever and produce great pears every year. My two pears are producing the first year.

o

Brown Turkey figs are my most easy-care fruit trees.
Other figs that have done OK for me include Bordeaux, Alma, Celeste and Green Ischia.

o

I'm trying a pineapple guava myself down here by Savannah. Here's hoping.

o

Satsuma tangelos and meyer Lemons are foolproof for downtown Chas. and there are a lot of other citrus you can experiment with. You can get some interesting varieties of figs from Pete's Herb's and they always have a booth at the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings.

o

I personally have seen an orange tree bearing fruit in West Ashley, and an orange and grapefruit trees with fruit on John's Island. It's worth a try!

o

Definitely it's citrus, citrus,citrus. You can grow grapefruits, oranges, mandarins, kumquats and much more. Not to mention the fact that they are so 'knock out' pretty when the fruit ripens. Try taking some samples of fresh tree ripened fruit to your co-workers, you will be on everybody's "best friend" list!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here