Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtle Help

Posted by nbarringer TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 13:19

I recently purchased a Muskogee Crape Myrtle. I did not know that this particular variation of tree grew to be 20-30 ft. tall and 20 ft wide. I planted on the edge of my flower bed about 3ft away from the house. And it is spaced about four ft away from some azalea bushes I planted. I planted it last week. Should I go ahead and move it to the yard? or can I just keep this tree pruned small.
What should I do?

Thanks

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle Help

Many people heavily prune Crepe Myrtles every spring. It doesn't seem to bother them much.

Or you can move it and let it grow out. I prefer to let mine grow out but it's really personal preference.

o

I planted 2 crape myrtle trees last week on either side of my house. One is doing wonderful, the other I am afraid is dead or dying. All of the flowers have wilted away and the leaves are all droopy. We have gotten a good bit of rain and I have watered the tree on dry days. Both trees have received the same treatment and both get the same amount of sun/shade. Is there something I can do to help the tree, or should I take it back to the store to get another one to plant in its place. Help me please!!!

o

I also just planted an Acoma (Semi-Dwarf) crape myrtle in a corner of my house. It's about 6 feet out from each side of an "L" corner. I'm second guessing whether or not I should have just put a pretty shrub like a Blush loropetalum.

Anyone have any experience with Acomas next to a house, or with second-guessing purchases for that matter? My wife may have me staying under the Acoma if I take it out!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here