Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Vine help ?

Posted by Ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 03 at 15:29

Has anyone had any experience with planting a peach vine?I receivd some seeds from Four Seasons nursery,they were part of a bonus for my purchase. It had no instructions on the package on how to plant,so i just planted some in a large container.I never heard of this type of vine ,so i dont know if im doing the right thing.The seeds look like small cantalope seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Vine help ?

There was a long thread on peach vine on the Name that Plant forum a while back, I believe it turned out to be a melon, perhaps closely allied to cantalope? You may be able to get a lot more info on it over there.

o
Sounds suspiciously like a Queen Anne melon

A very, very small melon, grown more for its scent and decorative qualities than anything else.

o

Thank you for your help,I dont know if it would be worth the time to fuss with it.

o

Cucumis melo. aka Vine Peach, Vegetable Peach, Plumgranny, Queen Anne's Pocket Melon.
As drsaid says, grown for its aroma and decorative qualities more so than for eating. Was widely grown and carried, as a deodorant, of sorts, back in the days when regular bathing was not the norm.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 03 at 14:31

Cucumis melo = melon. Queen Anne's pocket melon is C. melo Dudaim Group.

o

Perhaps you can tell me if my "mystery vine" is a vine peach. This thing appeared in a patch of courgettes and started to grow rapantly. It has leaves somewhat like a watermelon. For about 3 months, it bloomed and the blossoms would immediately fall. The flowers are small and yellow, somewhat like a cucumber. Now, here it is the middle of October, and the thing is fruiting! So far, the fruit is spherical and completely covered with long white glistening fur. Does this sound like a vine peach?

o

This is a vine peach (follow link):

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Vine Photo

o
Warning if you have kids

The little fruits are great for throwing. Plus, they stain like mad. We used them as projectiles all summer long. (better than pine cones or magnolia seedpods, as they caused less pain on impact.)

o

I also got some seeds from fourseasons as a gift now the vines are loaded with fruit and I'm wondering how to tell if they are ripe and if you can eat them?

o

Im a novice 14 year old gardener i got the vine peach seeds in an order from burgess it took about ten day before i put them in the ground they've been in for about 3 weeks and i got one male flower and now nothing its still early so i'll have to wait and see. Im more interested in the edible side of the fruit im anxious to see fruit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here