Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickij_gw

Visiting Charleston, SC

vickij
20 years ago

My husband and I are passing thru Charleston and we are going to spend the night there. This is our first time to the city and I sure would appreciate your input on what gardens to see, what shops to go to, where to eat, etc. Thanks a bunch.

Comments (14)

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

Are you going from Florida up to Charleston? If so, both Middleton and Magnolia Gardens will be on your way just south of Charleston. There are others, I am sure, but both of them are outstanding. To do both of them, you should allow at least a couple of hours each. I believe that both of them have a web site. Do a Google search for details.
    Enjoy
    PB

• Blooming_annie
    20 years ago

Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant (across the river) has a very impressive garden. I've never seen it this time of year but in October it was stunning.

If you are going on up the coast from Charleston, Brookgreen Gardens would be a great one. It is statuary and gardens and beautiful.

Actually, all the places mentioned, Middleton, Magnolia, Boone Hall, and Brookgreen are all just off highway 17.

Charleston has great food! Downtown favorites are Blossoms, Magnolias, Slightly North of Broad (that is its name), Penninsula Grill (extravagant).

Start at one end of King Street and go to the other for shopping. One section of it has become populated with very standard mall stores but that section is flanked by unique shops. Antique stores towards Broad St.

Charleston is very walkable! Park in one of the many city garages and hit the streets.

Have fun and let us know what you ended up doing.

• vickij
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks guys. You're the greatest. I knew I could depend on you to give me great suggestions.

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

Brookgreen Gardens is just south of Myrtle Beach on Hwy 17. You could spend hours there too. They also have a web site.

Have a happy time. If you like aquariums, Charleston has a very nice one. It's a little small compared to some of the Biggies, but it is just lovely and well done. Worth the trip! It's right next to an IMAX theater.
    PB

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

What shops you should go to in Charleston? Do visit Hyam's nursery on James Island and Cross seeds on route 61 in West Asley. Wonderful plants, good selection, excellent info on plants and knowledgeable staff at Hyam's will worth the trip.

I seond Blossom Caffe. I also like Meritrage a lot (if and when the loud music is not on) - both are on East Bay. Avoid the restaurant called Garibaldi at Market at all cost!

• gardninlady
    20 years ago

"82 Queen" Is one of my favorite restaurants! And "High Cotton" is just awesome too. When you walk the streets of Charleston, if you see and open garden gate it is an invitation to come in & see the gardens.

You gotta see Charleston by walking...a city of Homes and Gardens. You will love it~

• fuzzy
    20 years ago

And oh my gosh, bring bottles of water! My enthusiasm nearly drove my party to heat stroke when I led them to the tip of the peninsula/historic district in August-- it's a residential district, and there wasn't a water fountain or restaurant to be found. We walked and walked, and walked some more, and by the time we turned back were needing some water, but couldn't find any. Absolutely beautiful, wonderful city-- but take water for the walking!!

• vickij
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, we made our trip and it wasn't the best. There was a multi fatality accident on 95N and we sat still for 3 hours. By the time we got to Charleston all of the gardens were closed. All we really wanted by that time was a glass of wine, dinner and a bed. We had a difficult time maneuvering in the town. Street signs were sometimes nonexistent. We found High Cotton first so that is where we had dinner. I can highly recommend this restaurant. It was a wonderful dining experience. While we were walking around trying to find the restaurants we walked through the city market. Most of the vendors had packed up and gone home for the night but there were still a few that were open. I noticed several vendors were selling knives. This was a bit unsettling. Anyway, we had to leave early the next morning to meet our deadline so I didn't see much of Charleston but I saw enough to know that I just have to return later in the summer. Thanks guys!

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Gosh Vicki, that doesn't sound like the best Charleston has to offer. Sorry you had a tedious trip and short visit. Instead of returning later this summer why don't you put it off until Fall when it is cooler. Also, try to be there for the Saturday morning Farmers Market at Marion Square. They have lots of local veggies and fruits, yummy foods and *plants*. You also might want to stop off in beautiful Beaufort where I live. We are about 1 1/2 south of Chas. AliM

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Oops, I meant 1 1/2 hours south of Charleston.

• raymikematt
    20 years ago

LOL, I came hear to ask what good plant nurseries I might find when I visit Charleston (this coming weekend.) Guess there is no need to start a new thread. Im looking for a place with a nice greenhouse, tropicals or house plants. Thanks! Michael M.

• KnoxvilleGirl
    18 years ago

I am headed to Seabrook Island and we will spend a few days in Charelston. Thanks for the info you gave her as I can use it as well!!

• vickij
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am the person who started this thread 2 years ago. I told you then that I would return to Charleston again someday. Well, we returned about a month ago and I'm in love! I just love that place. I took the most gorgeous pictures and we had the most wonderful experience. Now I can't wait to visit again.

• ksimms
    15 years ago

We just came back from Charleston and used this visitor guide extensively when we were there. http://www.travelerofcharleston.com

There are a lot of great recommendations on what to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston SC Visitor Magazine

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions