Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

?Any experience with this list of shrubs?

brass_tacks
19 years ago

Just starting out in this climate near St Marys in GA and half hour from Jacksonville FL. Gosh that sun is hot! Here are a few things that I've found at Loew's and am looking for some comments on the list.

1. loquat eriobotrya japanica (evergreen) will be at Loew's in the spring. I did a web search & would not look for fruit--as I believe our winter temps would be too cool. Can anyone give a reason I might get fruit?

2. scheflerra arboricola 'Trinette' variegated

3. golden dew drop duranta (evergreen) or called Pigeon Berry or Sweet Memories

I don't know if Loew's would be getting this one. I'm thinking it is too hot here. Have you any experience with the:

choisya Mexican orange blossom

Thank you so much! Pat

Comments (8)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

The loquat will fruit, and fruit well the vast majority of winters there...they do regularly all the way to about 50 miles north of Charleston, SC, and even further north and further inland during mild winters. There are other fruits for you to try: different types of citrus and bananas, peahes, figs, pomegranates..and on and on.

• brass_tacks
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wilmington,
    This is wonderful news. Thank you
    Pat

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

Brass Tacks, the duranta is marginal here in Charleston but the one I had at my old house came back from the roots for years. I planted one last year that didn't come back but I planted it late in the fall and have found that those marginal things do better if planted early in the year so they develop good roots.

Loquat will fruit (which also means it drops seeds and makes tons of babies) and remember when planting that it gets huge. Really a small tree more than a shrub.

Don't know about the schefflera but aren't they all tropical? Maybe someone else can help you out.

Good luck and have fun!

• brass_tacks
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Annie,
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check about those shrubs being tropical. I'm trying to stay away from tropicals.
    Thanks, Pat

• raymikematt
    19 years ago

Loquat will do exceptional there in the warm, humid coastal environment. You even see them occasionally as far north as here in the Upstate SC region, which gets MUCH colder than you down in balmy zone 9 St. Marys. Scheflerra arboricola 'Trinette' variegated is a tropical, but might make it through a few winters if it is protected. I know a few "unsually tropical" plants are growing down there in St. marys/Kingland Georgia that shouldnt be. Bananas are beautiful and fruit in your area. Something you could try that is not a shrub but gives a "shrubby effect" is Philodendron bippenatifidum (or selloum). Huge pinnately lobed leaves set close together on a thick trunk...they are gorgeous and do well on the coast.
    Oh, and I do believe there are one or two Schefflera species that would do fine in St. Marys, but they are rarer species and hard to find in local nurseries. If I find the names on them Ill let you know.

• brass_tacks
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Michael,
    Thanks for your suggestions. Last winter (my first winter here) there were many frosts. Folks round here said that you never know from one year to the next. Think I'll play it safe and stay away from tropicals.
    Pat

• WannaBGardener
    19 years ago

Loquats get hugh, for sure not a shrub. In costal Alabama they are at least as large as standard orange trees, (for comparision). They can also be messy. Drop their large leaves like magnolias do, and would also have the fruit to contend with. Not sure you would want one, unless you have a large space for it to grow. They fruit well in our area, and the birds like the fruits.

• brass_tacks
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What about the roots on the Loquat? Do they grow horizontal a long ways? Would the spread be about 20 feet?
    Thanks, Pat

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions