Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooming_annie

Can Rose of Sharons be gorgeous here?

Blooming_annie
19 years ago

Do any of y'all have or ever see ROS that look really good in the Deep South? I have one of the new sterile hybrids (can't remember which) and have been thinking of getting more. However, everytime I see one in someone's yard it is nearly leafless, sun-bleached or anemic looking, and twiggy without abundant flowers. My little baby looks fine but it is only a year old and three feet tall.

Is our climate just to harsh for them or do they need more TLC than they normally get or what exactly is the deal?

Comments (8)

• mrskjun
    19 years ago

I'm in the deep south and mine are blooming away right now. I do have them planted under the canopy of huge oaks, so that may be why they are so green and lush. But I see them blooming all around my neighborhood.

Betty

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Mine are not blooming as well as they have in previous years. Last year the blooms were large. This year, they seem stunted. Why? I have no earthly idea. However, the foliage is green and healthy looking. We are little south of Charleston, and the conditions are about the same. Mine are in semi-shade.

I have never seen anyone keep them pruned, but I passed by a yard the other day where there was a white one was just covered with blooms. By the shape, I guess that it had been carefully pruned. It was thick and lush. It made me think that maybe a good pruning might be a great idea. But when would you do it?
    PB

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

I have a double peachy pink ROS that loves it here, outside of Beaufort. A deep pink double is barely making it, always looks puny. The singles have never done well for me.

• AnnaK20
    19 years ago

My first closeup experience with Rose of Sharon was when we lived in Dothan, AL several years ago. The ones in our yard were a few years old and absolutely gorgeous. I've had mixed results here in coastal Georgia, but I think it's probably the individual plant rather than the climate. For some reason the doubles seem easier to grow than those beautiful singles.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

A tad of fertilizer might make a difference, it helped this one.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

They do better in the Piedmont and points further north...and i am not sure if it is the soil, or our lack of cold and sustained cool weather. In 8b or better, you can grow most cultivars of tropical hibiscus as perennials, with the red variety being hardier than others and some winters mainting all of its branches and leaves....most years they are just defoliated ( like a ROS would be anyway) and you have a greater color palette to choose from.

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

I have a single white that I rooted from a cutting I got from my neighbor. It's pretty right now. Want me to root a cutting for you?

• SUSANDALLAS
    19 years ago

I had the exact same problem with mine. When I bought it from the nursery it was gorgeous. It was a deep green & covered with beautiful white blooms. For years it got to be a pale green, very spindly, & hardly ever bloomed.
    I then started fertilizing every week with a 20-20-20 solution & also watering a lot. It really started thriving. I bet this will solve your problem also.
    I think different varieties of this plant must need more care than others. The purple variety that I grew when I lived in Lubbock, TX. thrived with no fertiilizer & very little water. The one I have now has to be babied.

Sponsored
More Discussions