Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions and Garlic and Shallots. Oh, My!

Posted by PeaBee4 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 04 at 8:38

I have a sunny spot that I think I am going to use as a herb garden. I also want to try my hand with garlic and shallots.

Soooooo...I know that I start with the tiny little bulblets, or with the cloves of garlic, but when? Can the grocery store garlic be used?

We love the flavor of shallots, but they are a little pricey for me. I had a crop one year, but I have forgotten just what and when I put them in.

Thanks
PB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions and Garlic and Shallots. Oh, My!

Put them in in late Fall. Plant the bulbs two inches deep in good, loose, compost. Shallots multiply so the price becomes cheaper. They are so good. Be sure to start garlic from large bulbs (from the store is fine) and you'll get the largest plants. Paul.

o

Paul, thanks. I am going to give them a try. Now, all I have to do is get the Man of The House to get the bed started. I shovel only when all else fails.

Wish me luck!
PB

o

I've had great luck with early November seed-planted shallots here. Some were the size of small onions! The set-sown shallots were not much bigger or better.

Last fall I tried garlic (expensive garlic) and was disappointed...small heads and half of them rotted during curing...I'll try again though. We used the 'green garlic' (immature garlic) and scapes in sautes and fried--tastes just like garlic!

Good luck, deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here