Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant sources near Charleston, SC

Posted by gardenguru1950 SunsetZ15 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 04 at 14:26

I am looking for quality retail and wholesale sources of plant material (particularly trees, shrubs, and native plants) within the south Charleston area. My client would probably not mind driving up to 1 hour from Edisto Island, though.

So, who are the growers you recommend?

Thanks,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant sources near Charleston, SC

The retail places that I frequent are Hyam's on James Island (a great place), Cross Seed in West Ashley, Abideawhile in Mt. Pleasant. A couple of places on Johns Island worth checking into are Beauty Unlimited and Brownswood Nursery.

The two wholesale places that come to mind are north of Charleston. Parson's Nursery is near Georgetown and Carolina (I think that is the name) is near Goose Creek or Monck's Corner of somewhere out that way. There are probably places closer to Edisto but I don't know about them. You also might want to check in the Savannah area as that isn't very far from Edisto either.

Good luck.

o

Hyams, Cross and Abide-a-While are my favorites also.
In addition, isn't there a wholesale tree farm around Adams Run? I can't think of the name of the place but it is only minutes from 17.
And, there is a place just past the John's Island Airport on River Road. Don't know the name of that one either but I believe they sell wholesale and retail.
There is also a new retail place called Grassroots on
Dobbin Road, south of Charleston. You can see the place from 17. It is about 1/3 mile north of the USDA complex.
Don't miss Pete's Herbs on Johns Island, they grow lots more than herbs. They are closed for the summer but will re-open in the fall - which, by the way, is the best time to plant anything in this area.

o

I think it is Legares on Johns Island.

I second Brownswood Road Nursery for your clients. Although Hyams is nice, but also VERY pricey!

o

Just curious~ Did your client find a suitable nursery?
I'd love to know which one was best for the recomended plant material. I presume you did the design?

o

Brownswood Nursery, Cross Seed, Legare Farms and Pete's Plants are my favorites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here