Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetable Garden Beginner needs all kinds of advice!

Posted by blackat GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 15:40

My daughter and I would like to start a vegetable garden. We are military and this has been the first place where we have had a yard large enough to try one and will be here long enough to benefit from it.

We are in St. Marys, GA. I have a nice sized sunny spot that is about 10 ft wide and can be up to 35 feet long. My soil is sandy and this year has been pretty dry, but the area was a bit swampy after all the rains the two previous years and the water would tend to sit and not drain very well when it was so wet. I know it is too late to really start anything right now, but I figure I have a few months to get the area tilled up and the soil in decent condition to plant before it is time to plant.

What I need help with? Everything! How do I get the soil ready? Should I add dirt to raise the area bit higher? What types of fertilizers or nutrients do you add and when and what can I reasonably expect to grow well here? When to plant? I'd like to start from seed, but if that's not the best way, where to get the starter plants from? How much water? And probably a million more things I should know as well.

My list of things I'd like to try are; sweet corn, bell peppers, sweet peas, cantaloupe, watermelon, carrots, cucmber, pumpkin, onions, artichokes, green beans and strawberries. I also have a spot against the shed where I would like to try blueberries and blackberries.

I'd like to plant at intervals so that I can have two or three rows that will be harvestable at diffetent times instead of all at once and it will just be a family garden, no need to grow huge amounts to sell.

I really appreciate any tips or starters you can give! I am really looking forward to starting this project and I think both of the kids will benefit from learning to garden too.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable Garden Beginner needs all kinds of advice!

Check out this site:
http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_0_57142766,00.html

This should give you an idea of what you can do in July. The Market Bulletin is a monthly paper printed by the State of Georgia. It will give you a guide for each month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here