Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doodlebug2000

I'm moving, need transplant advice!

doodlebug2000
20 years ago

Hello,

I have just purchased my first home and will be moving in the next two months. I have had a garden at my rental home for about three years. I would like to take some (okay, most) of my plants with me and would like some transplanting advice. I am concerned because of the hot weather here in charleston. Should I go ahead and root-prune now?

Any specific advice for transplanting the following?

leyland cypress? They are about 5 ft. tall.

camelias? Well-established for 10 or more years.

Daylilies?

Thanks!!

Comments (2)

• louisianagal
    20 years ago

Doodlebug, how far are you moving? I wouldn't do anything to the plants at this time. This is generally the worse time to transplant or stress or disturb anything. The daylillies should be easy, though. You can just dig them up and divide them when you plant. I have done this many times betw. my mom and myself. We just dig them and put them in a large bucket with a little water to keep the bulbs moist. You can actually shake the soil off the bulbs or if you can take some soil with the bulb that's best in my opinion. You actually could cut the foliage back when you dug them up. Of course for all the plants you should prepare the hole they are going into first, and have it ready becoz all the plants should go immediately into the new planting hole if possible. The less time to expose the roots the better.
    The trees and large shrubs are the hardest. Take as much of the root ball as possible and place in a large tarp and wrap it up. Place immediately into new hole if possible. If alot of root had to pruned away to move it, I usually prune back the top of the plant (foliage and branches) becoz the smaller root ball cannot support a very large top. Good luck. If you have time, start preparing your new holes now.

• Sunshine48
    20 years ago

Just a bazarre-ly related thought...when I lived up north, bushes and trees (even perennials) were considered 'real' property. If you were renting somewhere and you left, you could not take things you had planted with you unless you had express permission from the landlord, they were considered property of the owners of the house. The owner could get irate and legal recompense for holes put in the landscaping by a previous tenant.

In the same vein, if you were selling a house you'd lived in for years, if was iffy if it was legal to dig up you grandma's favorite rose bush to take with you BEFORE you even put your house on the market. Who knows how well those laws were actually followed, though. I'm sure even if you did the deed after it was put on the market, it would not really be checked into unless a potential buyer was initally attracted to the house because of a certain planting and then was miffed 'her' garden had been destroyed by the 'previous' owner.

It could be that all this nonsense doesn't apply to renters or you in your situation, or to anyone here in NC...just thought I'd let you know.

S

Sponsored
More Discussions