Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuervo55

Suggestions for Planting Area?

laura55
14 years ago

We live in the Charleston, SC area and just ripped out some very out of control wax myrtles that were along our driveway. We are having the stumps removed this week and I am seeking suggestions on shrubs to plant in this limited space. The wax myrtles were huge and leaning over our driveway taking up about about 3-4 feet of it. We don't want to take up that much of our driveway again, and we also don't want to infringe on the neighbor's property that much (but to be honest, we're not exactly sure where the property line is and no one is currently living next door.) I think we only have about 2 feet.

To get to the point, I absolute love a plant that I've seen at a local shopping area parking lot. I have investigated and find it is called an Indian Hawthorne Majestic Beauty. From what I've read, this plant can take shearing, but does better in it's natural dome shape. I'm very disappointed. I've also read about something called "limbing up" that may be an option? Or should I forget it all together and pursue another shrub. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I would like something evergreen and flowers are a bonus. I should mention that there is an irrigation line running thru this area. Here's a picture of it.

Thanks for your help!