Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_gw

avocado trees

Carol
22 years ago

Zone 9 I think .......some books say 8 . Lake Charles La......... from California, missing my avocado trees I had in California -- does any one know if they will grow here.--produce fruit .I ask at a couple of nurseries and they did not have a clue.

Thanks Carol

Comments (26)

• ktl6
    22 years ago

I don't know about Lake Charles, but I do know that avacado trees will grow in the New orleans area. problem is, we get a hard freeze every few years that usually causes a problem for the end result which is bearing fruit. If we have enough continuous warm weather, you could have luck with them. I know it isn't the same, but why don't you try some citrus or peach trees.
    Kim

• Ceg5235734_aol_com
    22 years ago

Thank you, actually came about 5 years ago and been flying back and forth ... now here to stay. We put out grapefruit. orange and lemon ... and a couple of peach trees when we first bought the home. Citrus are doing great. worms in the peaches. Because I did not have time to spray routinely. thinking of taking them out -- Cause I am wondering if ever could spray enough to keep ... worms away.
    I think just going to try to locate an Avocado tree and try ....
    Some of my favorites. have did wonderful here ... some I have had to give up on ... but. ...I . Have been introduced to so many new things.and have so much to learn ... Now that I have more time------.........

• Pgp4067_aol_com
    22 years ago

I have seen them grown in Houston and covered in the winter for a freeze and if it goes down too much below freezing, it will freeze. I have had one in a pot for a few years and brought it inside, but after awhile, it was too much trouble. I would just enjoy it for a year or so and then get on with it. There are a lot of plants here that will freeze and not come back, and that is what we live with.

• Honeybee
    22 years ago

I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast & grew one from seed last summer. It was about 8 ft. tall when the freeze got it. That broke my heart, it was to large to put in my greenhouse.

Honeybee

• bpver_txcyber_com
    22 years ago

I just purchased and brought in a Bacon Avacado Tree. It has a tag on it to fertilize it with a Avacado fertilizer. Is it a all purpose fertilizer? or what. Thanks for any information. We live 80 miles NW of Houston.

• Ceg5235734_aol_com
    22 years ago

Fertilizer ---I found this while doing research on the avocado tree ---Bill may I ask where you bought your tree -?-I can not find any in the Lake Charles LA. area

In Florida, young trees should be fertilized every 1 to 2 months during the first year, beginning with 1/4 lb (114 g) of fertilizer and increasing to 1 lb (455 g) per tree. Thereafter, three or four applications per year in amounts proportionate to the increasing size of the tree are sufficient. Mature trees should receive 150 to 200 lbs (68 to 91 kg) of nitrogen and potash per acre per year split into three to four applications. Fertilizer mixtures containing 6 to 10% nitrogen (N), 6 to 10% available phosphoric acid (P 2 O 5 ), 6 to 10% potash (K 2 O), and 2 to 6% magnesium (Mg) give satisfactory results with young trees. For bearing trees, available phosphoric acid should be reduced to 2 to 4%. Examples of commonly available commercial mixes include 6(N)-6(P 2 O 5 )-6(K 2 O)-2(Mg) and 8(N)-3(P 2 O 5 )-9(K 2 O)-3(Mg). Plants growing in calcareous soils should receive annual nutritional sprays of copper, zinc, manganese, and boron for the first 4 to 5 years. Thereafter, only zinc, manganese, and possibly boron are necessary. Avocado trees are susceptible to iron deficiency under alkaline conditions. Iron deficiency can be prevented or corrected by periodic soil applications of iron chelates formulated for alkaline conditions

• bpver_txcyber_com
    22 years ago

Carol purchased the tree in Southern Ca. Mission Viejo

• Ceg5235734_aol_com
    22 years ago

Bill --thank you -- please post and let us know when you start making guacamole ------!!!

I would like to know how your tree fares --I was doing more reading -- there are avocado trees in the lower Rio Grande Valley--South Texas --I am going to try to plant several in the spring. Sounds like our biggest challenge will be protecting them from freezing.

Good luck with your tree.
    carol

• Shugarbear
    21 years ago

Ok I read the posting by Carol LA. But thats all greek to me! Do I have to go to nursery for that stuff? I have a small Avocado plant that is 8" tall. I have it in a small pot. But I think it needs to be repotted into something bigger. The leaves are not getting yellow or anything, but it seems to ahve stopped growing. (this could be my imagination, LOL) I don't know ANYTHING about Avocado plants and need help! I live in Teneessee, I don't want to plant it outside just so it can freeze and die! Can anyone help me?
    I would appreciate any help! ;o>
    Thanx, Kimmi

• bethjaneway
    21 years ago

I also grew an Avocado tree in a pot approx. 8" in diameter. The tree grew to about 18" high, then stopped. The height probably depends on the space allowed for the roots, like it does for bonsai trees. It looked healthy, though.
    However, the trees are very cold sensitive. I live near Canada, and it died after my heating pipes broke one winter (the temperature went below freezing in my plant room). I'm trying again, though, and my new tree is now 3" high after about 3 weeks. Here are some useful websites I found:

www.calavo.com/consumers/hottopics/growing.html (how to grow one in a pot)

www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html (detailed information on avocado trees and cultivation)

One thing I would recommend is pinching it off so it branches out and becomes more full. I didn't with my first tree, so it only had about 8 leaves.

Good Luck!
    -beth janeway

• BarbC
    21 years ago

Yes, tree size depends on the size of the pot. Mine was in a 14" inch pot and quit growing for about a year. It was about 4ft tall. I potted up into a 20" pot and it is now approaching the ceiling. I imagine it will most likely STAY in the pot it's in now. The good thing about these is that you can cut them back and they will branch out beautifully, so once it gets too tall, just trim it back some. And like Carol said, they like fertilizer, so don't be afraid.

• violetgirl
    19 years ago

Last winter, I thought mine was dead, the leaves turned brown. Lack of water and a cold snap but it just cut it back and is really growing now. I try to pay more attention to it now. I have it in the hot sun of Florida and some times water it daily when the leaves are droopy. This is my first one to get this large and bushy

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Yes, Avocados will grow in 8b and other supposdly inhospitable climates. It is ALL in the VARIETY seleted and in your SITE selction for it.

• sacratomato70
    19 years ago

If avocados grow in inland parts Northern California, they should grow in the South. I would think with all that heat and humidity it would be ideal for avocados. Here it can occasionally get down to the 20's but usually it is only for a few hours at night and temps warm up at sunrise. Still we have to give lots of TLC to avocados to ensure they grow as they can be fickle in the Scaramento valley, but it is not impossible to achieve.
    I have a 9 year old Mexicola avocado in front of my other home and it has survived temperatures down into the upper teens when we had the big freeze of 1997. I think what helped is that it was planted outside the doorway in close proximity to the stucco of the home which provided warmth and shelter.
    Last year the tree produced a crop for the first time and it has done great in that location. The tree is now 12-15 ft tall, gets a good amount of sun in the morning with filtered light in the afternoon which is ideal if the sun is scorching in your area.
    Overall, if you live in an area where frost is probable, you might want to select a variety where it is the most frost resistant (Ex Bacon, Mexicola, Zutano, etc.). Also when the plants are young, cover them up at night if temperatures go below freezing or plant near a location that emits heat (ex near a wall, masonary fence or concrete where the sunlight reflects). At holiday time, go even as far as decorating the tree in christmas lights to help keep the tree warm.
    Once you train them to grow, it will be well worth the wait. There is nothing like going outside your door and picking your own avocados with pride form your own tree.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Excellent post, sacratomato. I and I second your selections. But add "gainesville", "wilma" and "opal-holland" to the list for cold hardy cultivars. However, the parts of the south even these will grow in is limited. I personally wouldn't try one anyfurther that 15 miles from the coast, and nor further north than Murrels Inlet, SC.

• Scott_K
    19 years ago

I'd love to try one. I'm five miles inland. If anyone would like to suggest a place to purchase a cool hardy variety, or start a cutting or graft for me, I would appreciate it. Perhaps a trade for something that you might want.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

You may find a Mexicola on the internet at online nurseries. There is a guy in Texas whom has them but I can't for the life of me remember is email address. Nice size trees ( $50 total to ship to Georgia/SC). I'll look for it and repost if I can find it.

• thirdrockphoto
    18 years ago

Hey, guys. This forum is all mixed up. Can you please submit a new topic if you are not referring to the first topic? But back to Carol's original question. Freeze tolerance differs for varieties. Check any of the many avocado web sites such as http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html To be safe, cover the tree with plastic when the forcast is for sub-freezing temperature. Also, consider a dwarf variety such as the "Little Cado" that could be grown in a half wine barrel on wheels. Roll it in for those nippy nights.

• petiterose
    16 years ago

I have heard Mexicola Grande can tolerate temps down to about 18 F. Haven't tried growing one yet, though, so I can't comment from any personal experience. :)

• toreback1
    15 years ago

transpanted 3ft avocodo tree, in december. Having problems with frost on ground also dug a 3ft hole by 3 ft, inserted a pvc pipe with drilled holes inhttp://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/teach/msg0810373411221.html it, to insure roots grow downward. so will not buckle cement. Before planting added a mixture of bonemeal , bloodmeal, cactus molch, and volcano rocks to insure air pockets.Temp is now at 40 degres.warming the soil with heating pad next to tree.also have a halogien lamp heating the soil layed upon 2 bricks. a tent now surrounding planting area.temp inside tent is 60- and soil 50 degres. Any input would be great!?

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• henkelrodbev_comcast_net
    12 years ago

i live approx 100 miles north of san francisco.i have two mexicola's planted,southside for maximum sun.for nine years 10ft tall alive and have fought tempertures down to 19deg's.this is not ideal but still alive.i've had branch and defolige at around 22 deg.also no fruit but produce beautiful yellow buds

• Zazzy9
    11 years ago

Folks in South LA tend to obsess over cold hardiness b/c we're in such a marginal area and are tempted to push our luck w/ trees like avocado, but it's irrelevant. The reason you never see any mature trees down here-I mean not a one-is b/c of the poor drainage. Hardy varieties and mild winters might buy you a year maaaybe 2, but-unfort.-you can't overcome the drainage issue. I suspect our soil is too salty for avoc. too. I know-it sucks.

• yuman
    11 years ago

I live in yuma az the hot spot of the nation.1 mile from CA & 7miles from mexico.I have very sandy soil.
    On north east side of my house 7 years I planted an avocado seed I think it was the mexico varity.I dont know what kind.

It was rough skined and dark in color.
    the tree trunk is 12 1/2" in circumfrence
    when it grows above the eve of the house[3ft of growth per year] the sun burns the leaves so i cut it back
    I prepared the soil with steer manure & triple super phosphate,before planting.
    Now that it has some size,I feed it compost tea.
    I have a 55gal pastic drum laying on its side and a 12"x12"hole to feed the grass cliping & kitchen veg scraps
    the drum is on a stand 18" off the ground the small bung has a 3/4" hose bib with a piece of garden hose connected on the inside of the drum with many holes drilled in it,so it wont plug up .about once a month I pour 5 gals of water in it.then the next day or to, i drain and feed the tree.
    i also add alittle amonium sulfate to help the compost.the tea takes the new leaf size from 3 1/4"x5 1/4"to 6"x12"on the shady side
    if anyone knows? how long does it take before the tree will bloom?

• Mary58Cows
    11 years ago

I live between Houston and Beaumont Texas. I have an Avocado tree in a pot. I've just never figured out where the best place is to plant it in my yard.

We didn't bring it in early enough last year and the main tall stem died back, but the remainder of it is about 2.5' tall.

I brought it inside when the weather got cold here a couple of weeks ago and inspected it. There are leaves with small brown spots, holes, small webs, partially eaten leaves and a black mold like coating on the limbs.

I used a wet cloth and the black, with repeated rubbing, is coming off. I haven't found any bugs or worms but I think there have to be some.

Can I use soapy water and a soft toothbrush to get the black off, or what?

I've never fertilized or done anything to it, other than cut the dead part off and water it. The leaves don't appear to be as dark as they were when I bought, or before it partially died last year. Should I repot it?.

When I bought it, it was about 5' tall and had some blooms on it but didn't ever get any fruit.

I would like to do whatever I need to do to FULLY revive it and hopefully plant it next spring. But, I don't really know what to do.

• gwen4616
    10 years ago

I planted my 2 avocado trees over 30 years ago, I neglect them badly but only one year out of 30 they haven't produced.

My question for anyone that knows: what can I grow under them? One year I planted spider plants, they did well for about 4 or 5 years but they died off too. The trees do well even with neglect but nothing I try seems to grow under them.

They are planted in the front of my house, (my exe wanted them there, don't ask) I would like so much to have it look nicer in the front of my garden.

• plan9fromposhmadison
    10 years ago

Gwen, we need to know where you are, first. In most of the Deep South, the cold snaps are too problematic, and the hot weather is too hot, for Avocados to do much of anything.

Again, we need to know where you are.

But as a wild guess, I'm thinking that some shade-loving miniature Ginger will work for you. I think some of those stay green in New Orleans. Too, there's always Asiatic Jasmine...

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions