Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahm2jordan

Hi! I got a couple questions for you! :-)

sahm2Jordan
19 years ago

Okay, we are building a house that and should be in in about 3 wks from now. So we are going to be planting some trees and shrubs this fall.

I have been told that rhododendrons will not grow here? is that true? (Wilmington probably knows this one.. LOL And I'm in southport so howdy neighbor!) Albeit, azaleas are beautiful but I'm a bit azalead out and would love to go with camellias and rhododendrons for something less common to the area.

Any shrub suggestions? Not a fan of the boxwood or the holly. Hmm.. not sure what else there is. I like everygreen type stuff.. LOL Does this tell you how little I know about shrubs???

I have also been told that only spring flowering camellias grow here. Is this true and if so WHY? LOL I want one that blooms red at christmas. Why can't I have that?

I think that's it for now.. LOL Looking forward to getting to know everyone here! Looks like an awesome forum and so nice to know that you all understand my environment here! ;-)

Michelle

Comments (10)

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

I'd be surprised if you can't grow sasanquas there and they are the ones that bloom early in the season, from October to December uusually. The flowers are generally smaller than the japonicas but gorgeous nonetheless and they can frequently there are varieities that will thrive in a wider range of sun conditions. Yuletide is a very common red sasanqua that sounds like it would bloom over the holidays but I don't remember whether it does or not. Sasanquas also vary a lot in size so keep that in mind when shopping. Some are small enough to make a small hedge with and others grow eventually into small trees.

Japonicas are more cold sensitve and thrive here in Charleston. Maybe someone in the Wilmington area can help tell you how they do there.

Good luck to you and keep checking in here!

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

BloomingAnnie has given you excellent suggestions and I 2nd them..and camellia japonicas will do quite well for you in Southport. Whoever told you such a thing? For low growing evergren, you might try Indian Hawthorne..pink or white flowering..your choice. As to rhododendrons, there are certain "highland" types that will not do well for you...however, there are several types, VERY fragrant, that are native to the lower SE and woould do spectatcular there..the trouble is in finding them. There is an orange cultivar that smells as good as any jasmine. You may also a few gardenias..."miami supreme" is a favorite of mine. Also, I don't know if you were saying "Howdy" to me or not..but if so, Howdy back at you :)...but I am nowhere near Wilmnigton, NC..but rather 10 miles SE of Savannah, GA.

• sahm2Jordan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you both for the info and suggestions. It was my mil who said those things didn't grow in this area. I fould it odd too so thought I would ask elsewhere.. KWIM? LOL

And yes, I was saying howdy to you wilmington. It occured to me after I posted it that it could be another wilmington though. Anyway, I appreciate the help and expertise. This whole forum has just been awesome and I'm learning so much all over the place! It's been fun. I can't wait til we get in the house and I can get started. 3 weeks til the move in 'goal' date.

Michelle

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

You must be a newlywed...congratulations! Let me help you with a wee bit of advice that you probably already know: Your MIL doesn't know everything and you are the Lady of your house. Please feel free to contact any one of us with questions. We are all happy to help. Chuck

• ashef
    19 years ago

Michelle,

I'm just up the coast from you, on Topsail Island, and agree with what Annie & Chuck said. Camellias thrive in this area, and bloom all winter. Some additional easy care & spectacular evergreen shrub suggestions for foundation plantings & beds -- gardenias, bottlebrush bush & pittisporum.

Also, I totally agree with you about NOT wanting azaleas & hollies, and suggest that you add to the "NOT list" nandina and eleangus!

Allie

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

The Camellia that blooms red at Christmas is called "Professor Sargeant." Old folks used to call it 'Christmas Carnation.'

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

Hey, don't be bashing my nandinas, Allie! I'm one of those gardeners on the love side of that "either love it or hate it" question. The only one I like is the old common nandina and only when it hasn't been butchered by being lopped off across the top. But a well-pruned nandina planted in some shade is gorgeous when full of berries!

To each his own!

• sahm2Jordan
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL Chuck! No not a newlywed. It's our permanent home though and we will be moving in about 3 weeks. Since this place was temp I didn't put a whole lot into it. And I am well aware that my mil doesn't know it all. She thinks she does though. LOL A very good hearted woman though so we get along.

Allie.... Cool to meet someone so close to here. I've driven through topsail heading to VA many times. LOL And soooo tired of azaleas and 'everyone' says you have to plant some azaleas.... Ughh.. Oh well... maybe they will be oohing and ahhing over my camillias soon! ;-)

Thanks for the name foxesearth! I'll look for it. And I'll check out the nandinas.. I've never heard of them before so I'll save my judgements for later.

Michelle

• WannaBGardener
    19 years ago

Prof. Sargent (we have two of them) is a beautiful red Camellia, but ours don't bloom early. More like in late Feb. in the Gulf Shores Al. area. Yuletide is a good Christmas Bloomer.

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

Even though you don't like holly you may wasnt to at least look at yaupon holly. It grows well here in Chas and is beautiful at Christmas.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions