Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
agapanthus in a sea of salt water, any hope?

Posted by kkelley z8bFl (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 8:52

Hurricane Dennis threw a storm surge into my area that left our property under several feet of water from the Gulf of Mexico. The water went away quickly and I irrigated heavily afterward for several days to rinse out the salt water, but my agapanthus bed has turned yellow and needs to be cut back. Does anyone know whether (and when) they will recover from this, or will I have to replant the bed? Any advice as far as fertilizing, and how to help this bed recover, if it will? The house has been sold and I want the landscape to look good for the new owners. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: agapanthus in a sea of salt water, any hope?

You can try what we learned was helpful after Hugo, and what thousands of coastal golf courses do to protect their precious turf: apply granulated gypsum at a fairly high rate. Granulated or pelletized gypsum can be broadcast over the top of soil or mulch and watered in very well. It grabs on to the sodium ions in the soil so that plants can't take them up. The captured ions are then leached out of range of the roots with irrigation and rainfall.

Gypsum does not change the pH of the soil. It can be found where ever agricultural products are sold, or where ever the golf course superintendants get their supplies.

o
RE: agapanthus in a sea of salt water, any hope?

Thanks Rhizo. That is incredibly helpful. I am going to get some gypsum today. Thanks especially for telling me why and how it works!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here