Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_ritchie

Need to pick your brains on my front foundation

Randy Ritchie
19 years ago

Folks, I wonder if you can give me some input. Here's my problem:

The front foundation plantings were lovely, professional plantings some 30 years ago, I'm sure. Over time, they have turned into a weedy mess, and many of the original plants have died. I need to clean up and re-plant as cheaply as possible. The original shrubs were planted with dark plastic laid around them, then covered with pine straw. Over time, as the pine straw decayed and new was added, the weeds took hold. I am currently using round-up to eradicate weeds, plus the brush killer for the prickly viney stuff.

I have plants that I can put in once the weeds are gone. Tried hand-pulling them, but it just disturbed the soil (last year) and each weed was replaced with a colony of more weeds.

So, once cleaned up, do I still use the black plastic around the plants, or use landscape fabric, or just mulch and keep using weed killer to keep things in check, once I have things planted? The job needs to be as non-labor intensive as possible, as I'm struggling with arthritis and as-yet undiagnosed breathing problems (lung inflammation). So any ideas on the best, inexpensive way to do this? Oh, and I forgot to say that we have an automatic sprinkling system here to keep the plantings watered.

Thanks all!

girlsaylor

Comments (9)

• harleydeby
    19 years ago

I like to use landscaping fabric covered by coarse mulch. I too have physical limitations that make it hard for me to do strenuous weeding. I've found that this is the easiest method. The landscaping fabric is very versitile and lasts for long periods. Weeds have trouble rooting in the coarse mulch that I use. If they do happen to sneak up on you, they are easily pulled out. Hope this helps.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

I HATE landscape fabric. If I were you, I'd eradicate all of the foundation plantings...you could hire out the labor for fairly cheap....shouldn't take too long. I'd then liberally apply round-up, and wait 60 days to begin any new plantings. Once you do re-plant, keep it well mulched and you shouldn't have too much problem with weeds in the future.

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

I would suggest using layers of newspaper and then lay down the mulch of your choice. The cloth & plastic are not so good for the soil.

Go to the 'soils, compost & mulch' forum & do a search on the harmful effects of these 2 common abuses of soil.

Your plan sounds good otherwise. Fall is a good time to plant things. It gives them time to establish a healthy root system.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Newspaper is a good idea! It'll suppress the weeds for a while...and it IS mulch itself.

• harleydeby
    19 years ago

Hey Wilmington Islander and CaseysMom, that is a great idea! I never thought of using newspaper and don't know of anyone who has!! Could you tell me how many layers you put down at a time? Does the ink do anything to the soil or plants themselves? I am all for keeping the invironment safe, yet like I said, I have physical limitations and need all the help I can get to keep my gardens looking neglected. Even better yet, what about using shredded paper, as in your shredded bills and what not? I really like your approach. Talk about recycling. Way to go!! Please inform!!

• Randy Ritchie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the input friends. I got one area that was cleared finished up. All plastic has been removed. Underneath that I found pieces of landscape fabric that looked to be several layers thick. Looks like over the years, when the weeds got bad they laid more landscape fabric or plastic, covering it with pine straw. Maybe they didn't put the pine straw on thick enough to always have weeds coming back?

Anyhow, I planted a gardenia, a sweet shrub, and a couple of brugs to that area. The Gardenia was put where it will get about 3 hours of sun. The others will get sun all day. All had been growing in pots, waiting for me to begin this tediuos clean-up and replanting project. I am trying to be good about allowing enough room for the plants at mature size, which seemed to take alot of years' of mistakes and discipline to finally accept, ha.

girlsaylor

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

Google the word "Lasagna Gardening"

I just typed an elaborate response to this & something deleted all of it! Sigh!

• lantanalulu
    19 years ago

I just used the brown paper bags from the grocery store under my pinestraw. Thought it would look better. I am having a hard time keeping up with the weeds that have mustard like seeds all along the stalk. Does any body know what the name of this weed is? It is everywhere!It was not there when the beds were lawn. Could those seeds have been waiting just for my arrival and distrubance of the impeccable lawn? I have centipede grass and lots of swamp grass. Can I put the lawn clippings in my compost pile? It is not in the sun so I am not sure that it will get real hot.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Can't answer the other ?'s but by all means add the grass clippings to the compost pile.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions