Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_ritchie

Photo of Texas Star Hibiscus

Randy Ritchie
19 years ago

Thanks to Luchina, I have this lovely bloom this morning. The Texas Star Hibiscus is gorgous, and they are so easy. Best of all, they seem to be pest-free and heat-loving. I think I will have to grow more of the hibiscus family. :-)

{{gwi:1246486}}

girlsaylor

Comments (9)

• brass_tacks
    19 years ago

That's some looker!
    Pat

• curdog007
    19 years ago

Have you seen the white version of the Texas Star? It's just as pretty as the red.

• BarbC
    19 years ago

The white one is incorrectly ID'ed as a Texas Star - its has a different name. Similar leaves, though.

• curdog007
    19 years ago

BarbC-What's the I.D. of the white one?
    Lynn

• charlenemann34
    18 years ago

My daughter in Seabrook, TX, sent me seeds for Texas Star Hibiscus. I planted them inside and transplanted two in the Spring. They grew a little but not really impressive. Then here in Virginia we had a lot of snow and ice. One died and the other made it through and is blooming it's head off. The humming birds love it! I was teased because it looks like a "grass" plant and they thought I'd be arrested but now they're impressed with the showey blooms.

• garden_gossiper
    18 years ago

Thanks for that beautiful photo of the Texas Star. I bought a hardy hibiscus last year but it had no name. Now it does. Wasn't sure it was the same one- didn't know it was hardy to NH 'cause of the name. It's a beauty, that's for sure. Real late bloomer here. Just flowered today 9/24. Been waiting all summer and it's sure worth the wait. Jan

• molarry
    13 years ago

i recommend you think about staking them, I lost one last year in a wind storm. Kept last years seed pods and now have about 40 of them in 4" pots about 3" tall. Very lovely plants.

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

Love the bloom, my two are of a different color as well as pedal shapes. Lost my white one which I see listed as Texas Star Hibiscus also. It isn't even a Texas but Florida and Louisiana native, I believe we were the ones who gave its name. I know plants are ID'ed by root, stem, leaf, bloom and seeds and I can't see any difference so I will continue to call them all Texas Star Hibiscus. The thing I enjoy is the beauty of the plant for me it takes over 2 years before they become large enough to really produce a lot of blooms. Here they can get quite large over 10-15 foot tall. I expect to start many more in the next few years. Right now I have more seeds than I have any use for but then I guess I will have to try to find homes for them. So far my neighbors only enjoy them when I have gotten them large enough to move them to their homes.
    Paul

• Leon765
    11 years ago

I have a white & a red texas star hibiscus and have collected the pods that have fallen off. how do i get the seeds.