Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeribelle_gw

I am very upset with my 3rd lawn service

jeribelle
20 years ago

Folks, this may be somewhat off topic, but just how do I get what I'm paying for here in the South?! I've not run across this problem outside of this area of the country. I have engaged a 3rd lawn care company to mow and trim. Seems they refuse to listen to me. I could not get the first two to cooperate, so hired the man across the street (I hate to employ neighbors). Anyhow, this man is nice as God has ever made a person, but frankly, just doesn't care to do as his customers ask. I have a row of very young bushes I planted last year for eventual screening from the street, on part of the frontage of our corner lot. The lawn people here just run their mowers up against young trees and shrubs, scalping the bark, if they don't outright just cut off the lower branches and limbs. Then, just to make sure they have killed all but the central leader, they go back with the week-whacker and whack all the rest of the lower branches off, and strip the bark off the branches they cannot cut off with their string trimmers! I spent about 20 minutes discussing this exact problem with this man, after he scalped all the branches off my bushes 2 months ago. Now, I am home from school this morning, and he has done it again! There are dead lower branches on every single bush, and they are all scarred from his 'torture' of my innocent plants! Just how do you get these people to listen?! I love Savannah, and I love these people, and they are so kind. But, common sense and customer service seem to be something that I can't find in a lawn care person. Help! I want to like it here, I want to like the people here, but I am so frustrated, I could scream. This man is well over 40 years in age, and should know better, as he inherited this business from his father.

jeribelle

Comments (5)

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

Most seem to be idiots to me as well, Jeribelle. I don't know what else to tell you but to get a teenager and instruct him carefully on what you want. This seems to work better ( and is cheaper) than hiring out some freaking idiot. Best bet is to do it yourself, if you are physically able and have the time. I know it is frustrating, but I don't trust these fools with things I care about...if it was only the lawn to be cut, sure, but I don't want my plants/trees/shrubs damaged. You might try Griffin landscaping, and ask for Bill, ( assuming he isn't one of the ones you've encountered!). He seems to know a good bit more than your average Joe, and is well educated. I know he does landscape design, but he may have service residential accounts. It'd be worth a call anyway.

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, Wilmingtonislander, I'll call him! I'm sorry to hear it's a pervasive problem here. I never encountered this mindset before...Since I cannot do the heavy work, I am at the mercy of these lazy bums...sheesh.

Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully he is doing work in my area and open to new accounts.

jeribelle

• ernie2
    20 years ago

Sorry you are having a problem. I have a wonderful lawn
    service and I can give you her home phone number go to my page and email me and I will give you my phone number. Now all I have her do is cut the lawn and edge. If you wanted more you will have to discuss that with her. ernie2

• sybelle
    20 years ago

Hi there!
    Some suggestions:

1- Use an edger - landscape timber, small fencing, rocks, bricks, anything that visually ends the lawn area. Bricks and rocks will keep that lawn mower away from the area especially well. :)

2- Extend the bed a couple of inches past the farthest branch on your trees/bushes. Take all the grass out of the bed and then mulch the area completely. We rake all the fallen leaves unto the beds for mulch and to create a visual separation from the lawn. If you don't get enough fallen leaves, ask a neighbor to keep their leaves for you.

3- Keep the area under and around the bushes/trees as weed free as possible so they do not go after it with the weed whacker. The mulch will help with this very effectively. It is difficult for me to weed so I mulch instead.

Hope this helps,
    Sybelle

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Good suggestions, Sybelle. I'm not able to do anything right now, as too sick from surgery, still. But maybe next spring, if the bushes are still alive, I'll be able to mulch around them.

jeribelle

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions