Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jron_gw

Looking for Forest Pansy Redbud

JRon
21 years ago

Greetings! Just wanted to know if any of you fine folks might know of a retail source--mail-order or local in the Charleston area---for the "purple leaf redbud tree" (Cercis Forest Pansy)? I've done a little internet searching, but have only found wholesale places so far. Thanks for any help you can offer!

J-Ron, Summerville SC

Comments (6)

• mydonna
    20 years ago

I happen to be searching for the same plant. Your posting is almost a year old, but in the event that you haven't located a source, I found the following. Some are located on the west coast so you may have to pay for higher shipping costs. I've bought from Forest Farm and they have nice plants. Most trees sents from any mail order will not be large due to the logistics/cost of shipping larger specimens.

http://www.landarts.com/homepage.htm
    http://www.rdrop.com/users/green/plantit/
    http://www.forestfarm.com/

• nandina
    20 years ago

I have had three different nurseries tell me it would not grow in the Low Country. Do not know if this is true or not. Many times it is just a case of the local wholesale growers not cultivating certain plants for sale. If it is not readily available to area nurseries then...."it won't grow here". I was also told that Umbrella pine would not survive this climate. As it is my favorite evergreen I brought a young one back from a northern visit four years ago and it is thriving in dappled, high shade. The secret to growing trees and shrubs that are questionable in this area is to start with young plants and let them adjust.

• Blooming_annie
    20 years ago

There are some beautiful, thriving forest pansy redbuds in Mt. Pleasant. Two are on the property of Christ our King-Stella Maris Catholic Church off Coleman Blvd. One is in the full sun and is absolutely stunning. Another is in a more shade and it is not deeply purple. Both are relatively mature, good sized trees.

One of the new developments, seems like it is maybe Charleston National, has planted them as street trees along their entryway. They are in full-sun and thriving after a few years.

I saw one at Cross Seed the other day (under $40) and some bigger ones at Abide-awhile that were maybe $250.

• JRon
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the information on the Forest Pansy redbuds. As it turns out, I did order one last year from Forest Farm nursery. The one I bought was very small...basically just a twig with hardly any roots on it. This spring, several nice leaves came out on it...and then it happened: Something during the night ate it down to the ground. Probably a rabbit, but I'm not sure. The little twig never did try to leaf up again. I was so frustrated that I've abandoned this particular project for the foreseeable future. That's life in the garden, right? Some victories, some defeats.

Anyway, that's what happened to my Forest Pansy. But thanks again for your responses!

Ron

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Ron, I just saw a very large Forest Pansy at the Garden Gate Nursery in Beaufort. This is a grown tree with a large price tag too. But, it is a beautiful tree. If you are still interested give them a call 843 521 1959. They are located at 2513 Boundary St. (Rt. 21) on the way into Beaufort. It is about a hour from S'ville.
    Ali

• docb
    19 years ago

Two sources; 1.Rarefind nursey: Phone732-833-0613
    email: info@rarefindnursery.com
    2.Greer Gardens: Phone541-686-8266
    email: orders@greergardens.com
    Beautiful plant but poor flower. Mine grew to 6 ft. and died in one season apparently due a fugus infection. I am growing again at a different site. wish me luck.