Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooming_annie

SE coastal online plant exchange/event

Blooming_annie
22 years ago

What do y'all think of planning towards an online plant exchange in late fall? I'm not thinking of another forum, but an on-line 'event'maybe occurring one evening that we all schedule to be on-line. Kind of like a long-distance plant exchange party. This is a half-baked idea (as most of mine are) but I think it has potential and would be something for all of us with 'cabin fever' to look forward to. And it would compensate for the distinction of being probably the farthest flung regional site on gardenweb.

I'm mentioning it now so that we can all be thinking of taking cuttings, dividing, and collecting seeds.

Maybe we could even make it a real event with postings of garden pics, on-line access to some regional experts (maybe we could each get the gardening editors from our local papers, extension centers, or gardening centers to log on for an evening???) Or we could get experts on particular kinds of plants (i.e. hostas, delphinium, daffodil) to tune in. Dorie and Nandina, you are both coming to mind here!

Like I said it is a half-baked idea so any input is welcome.

Comments (23)

• fosterpk_gnt_net
    22 years ago

Hey, Betty Crocker -- I don't think this idea is half baked!! It is a delightful and clever idea and I, for one, would love to participate.

• coastalgardner
    22 years ago

Sounds good to me.

• PennyLa
    22 years ago

really cool idea!

• cindytanton_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

I like it! Let's continue to chat about working this out. We have such a long growing season here that we have a unique situation down here in Dixie.

• Nigella830
    22 years ago

I would be very interested. Count me in.

• dixierose_hargray_com
    22 years ago

Count me in, too.
    We have a get together to brainstorm and discuss getting this show on the road.

• Lynne_nefla
    22 years ago

I'd like to play, too!

• beachlily z9a
    22 years ago

Can I come???? Sounds like fun!

• pamj_cfl_rr_com
    22 years ago

This sounds interesting. Count me in. I live in Central Florida. This year, I could only offer cuttings of porterweed, but next year I'll probably have to divide some of my daylilies.

• Mzmunchken
    22 years ago

is this still in the makings?? if so count me in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Come Tour My Garden

• smaugans_sc_rr_com
    22 years ago

DID I MISS IT???

I AM BACK!! Yup, count me in - or better yet, why not make it a REAL LIFE event??

Dixierose has seen what passes for my garden - no fair warning everybody away woman!

• coachshaffett
    22 years ago

Can I join this team? I'll be looking for an update.

• Blooming_annie
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Hmmmm...I got the ball rolling on this and now I'm backing out due to those pesky working world priorities. If anyone else is interested in taking the helm I will be a very willing follower and participant.

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

Hi Annie, Call me I have been trying to get a posting like this for a while but keep getting cut. I want to get everyone around the Charleston SC area to meet someplace for a day and do exchanges on the spot. Have done this before for a local garden festival and know what to do. Send me yor e-mails.

• gardninlady
    20 years ago

Beetlebob, I'd be interested in helping out with this deal, ok?

Sounds like a wonderful idea. Maybe we need to put this in get-togethers or under the exchange forum. Just a thought!

• idixierose
    20 years ago

Count me in on this too. Please post a followup in this forum to keep us all up to date on this event.

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Me too!

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

I am working on a place to have the swap now. But it is to close to the holidays to get anything done. will try to get something going in Feb. to early Mar. so we can get it in the groung early. I have been getting ALOT of responds to this email and it looks like everyone is up to it. Will keep everyone posted on the web site to what is going on.

• leann2800
    20 years ago

I'm interested.

• ginabug
    20 years ago

I'm interested too!!

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

I have found a place for the plant swap. We will be using the greenhouse grounds for the city of Charleston in Hampton park. I know the woman who runs it and she said it will be a super thing to do. We will have to wait untill next year because of the season and that the neighborhood next to it wants to be involved also. It will be on a Saturday and when the times and date is set I will post it with direction on how to get there.Hampton park it a great place to walk through and the city is starting a program to rebuild it to it's old glory with the help a volunteers and fund raisers.So start thinking of what you all want to swap and remember to bring smoething extra for us to continue on with the swaping.

• Shufly
    20 years ago

I do not know how to correctly prune the tree it produces an abundance of pears each year even though it looks soooooo straggly.
    Please would someone that knows what they are talking about tell me how to correctly prune my pear tree ?
    Thank you, Shufly

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

OK If anyone is still checking this site I have an update. We are waiting for the Hampton Park people to get set up with a board before we can have a plant swap there.We are hoping to have a swap and sale two time a year to help with the restoration of the park to its old glory.Even though I am always interested in swaping plants anytime with anyone in the Charleston aera that would like to get together and tell tales of our gardening. I have just put up a green house from Harbor Freight and if anyone wants to see it E-mail me and I will get in touch with you to see when we can meet. The swap will go on just waiting fir the red tape to run its course. Later

Sponsored
More Discussions