Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_ga

Evergreen shrubs for S. GA?

caroline_GA
20 years ago

I moved to Savannah, GA from S. Texas where I could grow Hibiscus and other colorful evergreens all year round.

As I found out in January/February, I can't do that here. Can anyone tell me what evergreen shrubs I can grow here? We have azaleas, but I would prefer some that have long flowering seasons. I like colorful foliage (for winter color), but will settle for green if necessary!

Our soil is sandy, yard has full sun to partial shade. I will need varying heights as have a long bed across the front of the house.

All ideas appreciated!

Comments (9)

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Hi!
    I'm an Ohio transplant and now live in Savannah also! Welcome to the sunny east coast! Been here 3 years, and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of what I need to know about gardening in coastal GA. The one plant that I am planning to cultivate more of (I have 3 in pots right now) is Camelias. There are different types, Japonica, Sassanqua (hope the spelling isn't too terrible on that one), and others. I had a Camelia on my front porch that bloomed exquisite blooms all winter for me, in the shade of the porch roof. It was stunning - is about a 6 foot standard, I guess. This year I hope to find a deal on a couple of the Sassanqua Camelias. You should be able to grow them in the partial shade, but others will have to guide you as to whether they can grow in full sun here.

I also have gardenias that tolerate most any light conditions you can throw at them. Though they are generally thought to thrive in shade, I have one in more sun than shade during the day, and it is my heaviest bloomer. They can also grow in pots. There is also a low-growing gardenia that can be used as an underplanting under larger trees and bushes, that grows well here. Their glossy green leaves are lovely all year.

Although it's not a shrub, sago palms thrive here in Savannah. I have several and they stay green for me, all the way to the lowest fronds, as long as I keep them fertilized. I have a grouping of 3 of them under a bald cypress tree, and they make a stunning grouping also. I've seen them in full sun, partial sun, and nearly full shade.

We can also grow a lot of types of grasses here, and many people use them for interest. What about a mound of Hakone grass, or one of the purple-blooming grasses?

I'm just throwing out ideas here. I'm sure lots of the GWers here will have lots of interesting ideas. There are several people on the forums from Savannah and the islands area, so you will have the benefit of their experience here also. They have been very helpful to me, and very gracious.

jeribelle

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

Loropetalum? evergreen, burgundy foliage, nice pink flowers in early spring

Callistemon? evergreen, neddle -like leaves, very showy red flowers in late spring, early summer but often reblooms, hummingbirds love it

Pinapple guava (Feijoa sellowiana) - it is actually a small but very slow growing tree. Bluish green leaves, white reverse, beautiful white-red flowers in late spring/early summer it needs some shade in the afternoon

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

I second the rec on pineapple guava and callistemon, both very beautiful. I have a tropical hibiscus that came back from this past winter and has, and is, blooming prolifically. This past winter was the coldest here in 7-10 years, so don't expect those kind of fronts reguarly....Camellias area good choice but will need some shade as do most gardenias to look their best. You might also try a med fan palmd don't forget about "encore" azaleas; mine bloom 3-4 times a year, ( spring-late summer' and late fall). If you don't have a "tea olive" you owe it yourself to get one of these too...very fragrant and elegant, it can get to about 8-9 feet and is columnar...very nice. There is also a tropical hibiscus that you can grow here, without protection, unlike the hibiscus sinesis ( the "true" tropical hib.). It's latin nomenclature is something like alyogne hugelli or something similar. It is also called "Australian Blue Hibiscus". I have one but it is very small. I got it from kartuz greenhouses in California. Also, a kumquat "tree" is hard to beat! The choices aren't endless, but there are many. Not quite as many as S. Texas, but just as many as Houston, Port Arthur, New Orleans, and such as our climate is almost identical. Now, down in the valley, where it is similar to central/south florida, you can grow damn near anything. Don't forget planting out a few blue passionflower vines as well!

• caroline_GA
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thankyou all for the suggestions. Sorry it has taken a while to read these. I was out of town, then catching up. I, too, am on Wilmington Island. Seems there are a lot of us who read this forum. I have some camellia and gardenia, but am trying to add year round color so will look for some of the suggested plants. I am especially interested in those encore azaleas. I have seen some blooming "out of season" and wondered why! The Loropetalum sound good too.
    Thanks again for the suggestions

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Well, Caroline, I'm on Wilmington Island also! Small Web, er, World!
    jeribelle

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

Hi Caroline...I have encore azaleas ( 8 total, 4 each around a pair of sand live oaks in my front yard) and they are just finishing their 2nd bloom period, after planting them in March! I think they bloom 3 times a year. Looking at my first post to your question, I meant to say Houston-New Orleans-Beaumont, as our weather is identical to those...don't know where I got Port Arthur from! Anyway, look for the Pineapple Guava ( feijoa sellowiana)...I ordered 3-4 footer form Jenes tropicals that are well shaped and nice, with those silvery colored leaves, with a bonus of sweet edible exotic flowers in the spring, followed by some tasty guava fruit...hardy to @15 degrees. Welcome to Georgia!

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

If you have a place where you can put something thorny, try Pyrocantha. It's loaded with white in the spring and red berries in the fall and winter. The birds love it. The thorns can be a nuisance, but no more than a thorny rose. You can keep it trimmed to a lattice, over a fence, up against something or just let it go and it will eventually make a large shrub. It's evergreen

Be sure and get the RED. There is an orangey red than simple isn't worth the effort or space.

Nandina is another red berry that works well and also has pretty fall foliage. Both of these berries are available during the christmas decorating season.

• caroline_GA
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you PeaBee. The Pyrocantha sounds great, as do the Nandina, especially if they feed the birds too.
    Caroline

• Jeanni
    20 years ago

I know this shrub is kinda used alot, but I still like it: Indian Hawthorne. It comes in a few different sizes, so make sure you get one that fits your garden. It flowers in the Spring with either white or pink flowers.

For something a bit different, try either a Spring Bouquet Laurustinus (a type of Viburnum) or a Pink Princess Escallonia. Both are evergreen and get about 4' to 6' tall. SBL blooms white, nicely fragrant flowers in the Spring, while PPE blooms pink flowers off and on during spring, summer, and fall.

The Encore Azaleas are a great choice, just remember that they'll be happier if they're in the shade.

Jeanni

Sponsored
More Discussions