Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ambress27

Butterfly bush troubles

Ambress27
19 years ago

This may be a moot point tomorrow when my whole yard blows away in a tropical storm, but just in case, does anyone out there have any suggestions regarding why my butterfly bush would have suddenly turned brown and wilted? Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

Well, I have had several buddleia and they didn't make it.

Then I learned from the City of Chas greenhouse folks that buddleia doesn't like our climate. They quit trying with them as well.

So don't take it personally.

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

Plant a vitex. Butterflies like them too and they grow well in our climate.

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

I've given up on regular butterfly bushes too as has my gardening neighbor. Even the ones around here that make it never seem to flourish the way they do in cooler locales. I didn't even realize what they were supposed to look like until I saw them all fat and full and flowery up in Asheville.

I'm trying buddleia lindleyana this year. It is pretty different from the standard varieties. Stays evergreen in the winter, doesn't need deadheading, has long pendulous purply blooms. Jury is still out on whether it is a keeper or not.

• Ambress27
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It was doing well until just recently. It's been in the ground for almost two years and was blooming away. Could it be moles? If so, what do you do about moles?

• deep_south_gardener
    19 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    I'm in the NO, LA area. I had the same trouble in my front
    garden this year. (But not the back yard which gets more shade) I just noticed the butteryfly bush in
    the garden had turned brown and died. No moles here so it
    must be the heat and humidity. I may try the variety Bloomin Annie talked about if I can find one. The pineapple sage and the wisteria both had mildew. That's part of living in the south. I'm going to move the sage into an area that gets more ventilation and trim some of the visteria vines for the same reason. I notice every summer about this time several plants succumb to mildew and die. We just have to figure out what does well in
    our area and stick with the tried and true. I'll still try something new now and then, knowing in advance that they may not do well in the heat and humidity. I did try gloriosa daisy and rudbeckia this year, several varieties, they did very well in this area. They are keepers as they do well as cut flowers too. The zinnia did well also, and gave us lots of pretty indoor bouquets. Ya'll take care, my little one is ready for lunch. Chat with ya'll later. Good luck in the garden.

Granny Brenda

• Joyce Knight
    19 years ago

I have very good luck with my butterfly bushes. I have a 4 or 5 year old Nanho Purple that does wonderful every year. It grows as tall as my house and has many flowers. My Royal Red is only 2 years old and is doing great. Also have just gotten starts of the honeycomb,and the blue butterfly bushes to try. They all are planted in full sun. Joyce

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions