Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooming_annie

How does red hot poker do for us?

Blooming_annie
19 years ago

Hey. After years of ambivalence about this plant I've now decided that it is a "must have" IF it will do well here. Somehow it looks like something that would like to cook in the heat (maybe that is the name working on me) but I don't see it around much. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Comments (7)

• idixierose
    19 years ago

I've had a clump of yellow red hot poker a raised bed in my garden for the past three years. It likes excellent drainage and full sun. The variety I have blooms once in May.

Several times before this I planted it only to have it sulk all season, then die over the winter.

You know there's some reason why this plant is not widely grown here. I'm not sure what that reason is, but I suspect that RHP is not very happy with the heat/humidity. I wonder what soil pH it prefers. I recall seeing a handsome hedge of red hot poker in a yard in Santa Fe, NM and also saw it used in a number of other gardens there. Yet everything I read says it likes ample water.

Here's some photos I took in May:

{{gwi:1246520}}

{{gwi:1246521}}

{{gwi:1246522}}

• ccl38
    19 years ago

I've had it growing for several years in Savannah under high dappled shade. It has done fine for me.

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

There is an article in the latest edition of Carolina Gardener on pokers.

• savannarose
    19 years ago

It grows wild on the slopes of Mt. Kilamanjaro (spelling?). Mine does so-so here on the Islands. Better drainage would help, I'm sure.

• Scott_K
    19 years ago

I've tried to establish a collection of hybrids such as Primrose beauty, Little Maid, Border Ballet, Flamenco as well as some other unnamed varieties.
    It went okay this Spring, good growth, sporadic flowering(which I expected for being planted late last year).
    From what I have read, this plant must not have wet feet in the Winter. Very suseptible to just rotting away.
    The interesting thing is that I also read from a source that in the Spring and Summer, It reaallyy like moisture. I gave it plenty. The plants grew,bloomed, and then looked awful.
    They are starting to make a comeback. I don't know if it is because the weather has turned cooleror what. I really like these plants, but I'm wondering if my full sun is too full.
    I hope to get a nice clump of each variety, but at this point I don't know if they will make it past my trial.
    Plants Delight has a variety called Lola. 6 feet high..WHOA!
    Hope this helps

• alteredstate
    19 years ago

Dixie Rose, your yard is beautiful!

• trudyjean82
    19 years ago

Mines does well here, but I stopped planting it in the ground as it would die every time. As mentioned above it does like good drainage..I put mine in a large planter where it gets morning sun, evening shade and it seems happy. My question is how long before it multiplies? trudyjean

Sponsored
More Discussions