Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabassam

calla lilies

tabassam
20 years ago

What's the secret of growing these successfully? Mine is in part sun and gets a lot of moisture. The leaves are healty looking, but never had any blooms. This is their 2nd season. And what do they look good with. I'm definately moving them in the fall because they look out of place where they are, but I don't know where to put them. Maybe pots.

Comments (16)

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

oh, I wish I knew. I'll be following this post. I planted some little 'bulbils' this year, and they don't want to even break the soil for me.

jeribelle

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

Beside a lot of water and more or less shady conditions (only morning sun) fertilize them with a high phoshorus & potassium fertilizer like tomato food or 0-10-10. Apply a liquid fertilizer of this sort every second week around the plants in the period they are supposed to bloom (some callas flower in spring, some later in the summer).

• idixierose
    20 years ago

How hardy are callas? I'm inland about 25 miles from Beaufort, SC.

I planted 24 callas in spring 2002. Three of them came back this year, but none of them bloomed. In addition to these, we have a few others that have come back for 4-5 years. They are a variety with white spots on the leaves. I've never seen any of them bloom.

From what Micimacko says, I probably need to fertilize mine a bit more.

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

sheesh, these guys seem tempermental. I can't seem to get the seeds to germinate, only have success with keeping actual plants received in trade to shoot up some green...I'll take the fertilizer hint to heart.
    jeribelle

• ginabug
    20 years ago

I was given 2 last year from a friend, they do not require much care from me and keep multiplying like crazy. I gave 5 to my sister last weekend and don't even miss them. The only thing I can say is that mine prefer the shade, they like lots of water and no special fertilizer. Have had no trouble getting them to bloom. As a matter of fact I need to dig some up this weekend.

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Well, Ginabug, that tells me that calla lilies will grow well here in Savannah! Now I know to be patient and just try to get them to sprout; then maybe I'll be home free.

jeribelle

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Oh you guys...guess what...

Today there are not one, but two, of the calla lily seeds sprouting! They have been in soil for a good 2 months, sulking. I thought for sure they were rotted, and now I'm gonna have calla babies! Woohoo!
    jeribelle

• ginabug
    20 years ago

Then four, then six, then eight .....100:) Congratulations!!!

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Whee, Ginabug, now I have THREE sprouting! I'm so excited. Guess it's the correct light and temperature for these guys go sprout in my locale, as they've been in soil for at least 2 months.
    jeribelle

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Today I have 4!
    jeribelle

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Six!

• Jeanni
    20 years ago

I've found that callas grow just fine in this area either in pots or in the ground. They do need some shade, and as was said before, water and fertilizer. Mine seem to be pretty dependable with coming back every year and spreading.

My favorite combo is with alyssum and heliotrope at the feet of taller plants.

Jeanni

• jeribelle
    20 years ago

Eight!

• ginabug
    20 years ago

WhatÂs the old saying? lol, A watched pot never boils :)
    keep counting..20, 40,...

• Yolanda2992
    20 years ago

I have found in Oregon or any cooler climate state-There are two different kinds of calla lilies-The large green and white callas and the shorter colored zantedeschia callas. They grow in completely different conditions. The large green and white callas like sun or shade wet or dry conditions. The colored callas like full hot sun and dry conditions. They die back to nothing all winter and come up in May/June-whenever it is 75F or warmer. Completely dry between watering. Do not fertilize with nitrogen once the greenery is up-They do better when neglected.

Here is a link that might be useful: vanveenbulbs.com

• tsunami2
    18 years ago

actually i've noticed the coloured callas also have 2 more different genres . The one with white spots and the strap leaf-like hot sun loving one...both classes are quiet different.

is there any sub latin name to sort these specific classes ?

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry
More Discussions