Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Formal plants for full shade front porch

Posted by missor88 Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 18:50

I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable posters here can help me find some plants that will work for my front porch.

I have two cast iron urns on each side of my front door. The area is totally covered by the balcony above, and remains fully shaded. I need to get to plants for these urns, of medium height (as in not ground-hugging flowers and the like).

Topiaries would be the ideal style I am going for, but the lady helping me at the plant nursery said they would not work in full shade. The only plant she could suggest was a tall fern. Ferns are really too loose and informal a look than I am trying to achieve.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Formal plants for full shade front porch

Hostas are beautiful and very versatile, they come in so many sizes and textures and leaf colors. What about begonias? I have no luck with heuchera but many of these are so lovely. If you don't want the tall flower spikes just cut them off and use for the striking foliage, same goes for hosta.

o

dwarf gardenia
hydrangea
nandina
liriope
bamboo

also, maybe vines (fig ivy?) on a topiary frame would work?

o

Aspidistra elatior - cast iron plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here