Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakini_gw

Unhappy about gardening here

dakini
19 years ago

i have been here now for 6 years. one would think that i would be acclimated to the gardening scene, but each year it gets worse! at first i was enthralled by the diversity of the plant material. but now--nothing grows in this heinous climate save for cactus, agave, and yucca!! everything that does not need water. things that should grow up straight and gorgeouse start that way, then splay out from the center, and start growing from the ground position. or it needs watering every other day, which i am not fond of or used to doing. crape myrtles are ugly. azaleas only last a short time. gardeninias are great, but short-lived. in short, i'm getting so disccouraged that i'm diggiing up everything to sell at the farmers market next spring! nothing, and I mean NOTHING grows up straight here, not glads, not dahlias, not anything. i used to whine about the short season in upstate new york. but the lilies didn't rot, the hostas were huge, the eucomis didn't rot, the plume poppy grew up straight, grey green and didn't turn a sickly yellow and flop splayed out looking pathetic. and i don't like all those crappy flowers that supposedly do well here like mexican bush sage, which by the way does not do well here either. what exactly looks good and grows very well in this awful climate? sorry to rag but i am used to great gardens not crappy ones. aside from the cactus, agave and yucca, the weeds do really great!!

Comments (25)

• Brigitte_MiamiSprgs
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

what you wrote on your page isn't what you said in your message. you must be having a bad day.
    things can't be that bad, you just haven't found what works for you. take some garden tours or drive around nice neighborhoods and see what works for other people, there are good and hardy plants everywhere, you just have to find them. i'm not that fond of azaleas or camelias myself.
    Certainly you won't be able to have a 'up north' kind of garden, and maybe you shouldn't try to grow EVERYTHING that's possible. just select some things that come out really well and use those, together with some palms, European fan palm, does the Sable Palm work there?, don't forget the trachycarpus. and some evergreens. and by the way, crepe myrtles can be beautiful if they are not hatracked. just look at the beautiful barks some of them have. i sah a website giving all the growing details on crepes. note: i agree with your watering philosophy, some plants are just too finicky for the heat. send a update next year! :)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

Oh, you poor soul! You might find a gardening guru who will take you under his/her wing and show you what grows well. Drive around town and find some gardens that really appeal. Read Mrs. What's her name's book -- the library will know of whom we speak - the Charleston matron whose garden is open to the public. Her name escapes me.

Consider changing your Member Page to reflect your current sentiments. In December when the snow flies in Rochester and Camellias bloom in Charleston, maybe you'll feel better.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: My Page with some suggestions

• Randy Ritchie
    19 years ago

I am so sorry you are having so much frustration with growing conditions in the coastal south. I'm in Savannah, and believe me, it's as hot here as it is in most Florida coastal cities. Just track the weather reports for a couple of weeks, and we're as hot as Daytona, Ft Lauderdale, and even Miami, most of the time.

That said, I'm also a transplant, from Ohio, and yes, I miss some of the beautiful things that don't handle our heat or require a cold winter to do well.

But, I keep trying things, keep trading, and keep asking what conditions the plants need in my area. There are many things that were planted in Spring in Ohio that won't thrive here if planted in Spring. By sowing those seeds in Fall, some of those plants can be enjoyed also. I do agree with you that I find the plants than manage to do well here are as a whole, different form, different flower types, etc. The smaller blossoms here are much more common, whereas many more plants producing larger blooms seem to do better in the North. I'm determined to garden here for as long as I can live here, and am fortunate to get to try many things that I'd never heard of, courtesy of the good people here. Even postage for a SASE is a cheaper try-out than purchasing something that you've not had success with here.

I have found I can grow calla lilies from seed; with a little patience, I hope to have blooms maybe next year. The squirrels are a real nuisance on the islands here, so I've found I can sow things like lily seeds in oblong planter boxes, cover them with a piece of that plastic covered wire shelving, and keep the squirrels from digging in those pots until the plants are large enough to stand a chance against the little varmints. When that time comes, I just lift the wire shelf off the planter; the leaves that have grown up through the wires are not harmed when growing most lilies and plants with longer leaves on a single stem.

I am losing so many plants in the heat here. It is really difficult and exasperating. For instance, I'm trying to root rose cuttings. I have found they must be watered daily, lest they dry up and die in only one missed day. Well, with 14 hour school days, that's simply not possible. So, my efforts to start rose cuttings aren't going well. But when it cools off a bit, I'll try again. Same problem with easy to root cuttings - they wither and die when I have 2 long school days back to back. I'm thinking I may have to go with the oblong planter for rose cuttings also, to give a bit more soil and maybe then they'll make it.

I'm really enjoying brugs, roses, sedums (in pots to keep from getting too wet), hibiscus, stuff like that. My diascias are refusing to bloom in the heat right now, but they should put out flowers in about a month when the temperature moderates a bit. I love the matted plants (which they say you should grow in pots, but I like them in the ground, to give a lush carpet effect). Knockout rose will bloom throughout the summer in our high heat and humidity. Butterfly bushes and butterfly weed will handle our heat as well. I tried zinnias this year, but they don't want to grow up tall for me. They're flopping over. I tried a type of hollyhock, striped, and they just fell over for me. I'm not having much luck with any hollyhocks here. Maybe it's just too hot. Sweet peas are problematic for me. I just can't get them to grow in the cool weather long enough to bloom before the heat kills them in Spring here.

I'm sure others will give us more suggestions (I'm hoping!) Chin up and let us know what you're going to try next year.

girlsaylor

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

Oh my, haven't we all had days when we felt like that? Even those of us who have been here most of our lives experience gardening frustration.
    Recenly I visited friends on Long Island and as I looked around their lovely gardens lush with plants that would melt here, I had to stop and remember how desolute it is up there in January when I am busy in my garden that blooms 12 months of the year. It is always fun to watch the faces of my winter houseguests as they wake up and find freshly cut camellias on the breakfast table.
    For summer plants that "stand tall", try several varieties (for extended bloom time) of Agapanthus. Crocosmias stand up well if planted a little deeper than usual. I am not fond of the Mexican Petunia but they sure stand up well. What could be more striking, or easy care, than a Cassia in November?
    You are right to want to clear out your underperforming plants, if your plants are not a pleasure, get some that are. Your garden should be your sanctuary.
    Good luck.

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

I think you need to get your soil tested. Get on the Clemson website and check out things that grow well here. Right now my callicarpa is beautiful even tho we had a big wind yesterday! Remember that nutrients leach from out soil quickly so use losts of compost and manure. The book is Mrs. Whaley and her Charleston Garden. She was awesome.

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

Dakini, your experience doesn't sound typical or necessary to me. There are plenty of pretty gardens around here with a wide array of flowers and greenery in them. Yes, the heat and humidity and tropical storms get discouraging at times (and August is the pits) and it would be nice to grow hostas and lilacs and peonies. But there are things you can grow here that you couldn't grow back home and there are three solid, long gardening seasons here. Sounds like you need to adjust your gardening style and methods to your new surroundings and literally "bloom where you are planted" and Mrs. Whaley's book is a good start. Unforunately, other than that there is a dearth of good info for gardeners in this area. I rarely buy gardening mags anymore because they are so full of plants that we can't grow. Even Southern Living tends to focus more on the upper and middle south.

Some of the perennials that are blooming very happily in my garden right now are: indigo spires salvia (which started blooming April 22 and won't stop till frost), gerbera daisies (started blooming April 14 and are still blooming), several different hardy hibiscus, fernleaf lavender, a tropical hibiscus that overwinters in the ground, Bright Eyes phlox, victoria salvia, the short Katie ruellias, and a bunch of roses. Annuals that are thriving are lilliput zinnias, cosmos, purple hyacinth bean, blue daze, pentas, moonflower, purple fountain grass, and some annual salvias.

And by the way, in my mostly uncrappy garden my Mexican Sage thrives, my crape myrtles are gorgeous in bloom and out, and my lily bulbs don't rot! Azaleas do bloom briefly but you can plant different varieties and get a long succession of blooms.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

Bloomin' Annie, what are your thoughts on Carolina Gardener magazine? It was from them I got the list of 'annuals that do well in coastal gardens' that I have on my web site.

I think the issue with Mexican Sage might be the little flush of blossoms that it has in early spring and then the big show doesn't come until September. Mine is just now starting to show a spike of purple here and there. I plant mine among early bloomers like Asiatic Lilies so there's a skirt of green around those lily stalks until they fade and the Mex. Sage shows off.

My biggest show right now is 'Knockout' rose with salvia coccinea. In front of the hospital in a nearby town they have fat little bushes of Black Eyed Susans in swaths beside swaths of 'Knockout' Rose.

• brass_tacks
    19 years ago

Dakini,

I know just what you mean! Been here at the southeast corner of Georgia for just a year--so I'm still in the learning stage. It sure is a challenge--I almost ordered a bleeding heart (my favorite) the other day--I don't care that my zone shows up--no matter how much shade I could make for it--it would be a no-go. Good luck--hope Frances doesn't add to your chagrin.
    Pat

• WannaBGardener
    19 years ago

On the down side, After FRANCIS get's on by, you likely won't have to worry about "taking things to the market" next spring. Will likely have a clean slate to start over on. I pray all of you stay safe. Thats a relly bad storm abrewing out there.

• raymikematt
    19 years ago

Have you guys from the North ever thought of growing the things you are accustomed to there in the Winter down here?
    However, sometimes I have to agree with you guys.
    Often with our hot hot summers and droughts (with 90% humidity) and unpredictable winters...it can be a pain.
    I would LOVE to be able to move down to South Georgia or coastal SC and grow some of things you guys can grow that we cannot even here in the Upstate SC. Palms, Philodendrons, Alocasia, Citrus, sub-tropicals in general.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

This is the time of year that natives begin to be at their best. Rabbit tobacco is blooming at the field edges. I have a couple plants in flower beds to bloom with the salvias and things. The leaves are aromatic to pinch and sniff.

Agalinis (wild foxglove) will bloom this month and liatris is blooming on the roadsides along with wild bergamot.

The butterflies and hummingbirds are excited about cypress vine and cardinal climber's little red blossoms.

RayMikeMattLA has a great point. It will soon be time to plant violas, pansies, snapdragons and annual dianthus along with flowering cabbage and kale. My violas lasted to the middle of April last year, the snapdragons even longer. Soon the camellia sansanquas will be blooming, followed by the winter camellia japonicas. What a pleasure to contemplate!

• athagan
    19 years ago

Drive around your area and see what seems to be doing well that you like the appearance of. Find out what they are and try them.

This is the South, not New York. You're in a new climate with new conditions. You'll work yourself into a frazzle trying to fight the weather.

If you simply cannot find ANYTHING down here that grows well and that you like the look of then may I suggest you take up some form of indoor hobby? There's a few million of your expatriate compatriots down here doing the same. You'll be in good company.

But first give yourself a chance to find the good in your new climate and stop trying to force your square northern plants into our round southern holes.

.....Alan.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Well said Alan. You must be a native "Cracker".

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

I'm always sympathetic to those who are forced to move from their beloved home states to this gnat-infested sultry climate where there is something blooming year-round and snow and ice are never a problem.

Think I'll go sit on the veranda with an iced tea and contemplate my lycoris and salvias and melampodium and periwinkles. When the spirit moves me, I might go make an estimate of the buds on the camellias.

Nell

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

I also suspect the problem may be your soil. The heat soon destroys the organic content of garden soil, so you will have to add more compost, fertilizer, etc than you are used to in NY. After a while, what we have left is nothing much more than worthless sand. Keep a good mulch for your things. Make it something that will decay down and add to your soil. Leaves, hay, straw are good. Pine bark and things like that take too long to decay to do much good as a soil admendment. Mulching has a down side in that it may in time make your soil too acid. Have you had your soil tested?

It's time now to put in the perennials so that they can put down a good root system for next spring's bloom.

• BarbC
    19 years ago

I don't understand, dakini. I live in zone 8 SC and I grow all those things without problem. I have not ammended my soil, nor do I water everyday (not that we've had to this year, but even with last year's drought...?). Something isn't right.

I have gorgeous azaleas (they are OVER-ABUNDANT in this state) huge gorgeous crepe myrtles that bloom 3 times per season (also abundant), gardenias... huge hostas and awesome 5ft glads by the 100's (I started with a couple dozen 5 years ago)... and mexican bush sage thrives in our soil and climate.

There's got to be something going on. Where in SC are you? Maybe you are planting the wrong varieties of some of these things?

• fishermanpauljl
    17 years ago

I have now lived in Coastal southeast Georgia for just over one year now. I Retired and moved from Ct. I grew up on a Christmas tree farm, Did landscape work for my Brother and Have had a Veggie garden and flowers everywheres I have lived. The Soil here is fine sand and clay. The soil up north is Rich Humus and full or Organic material.

I am now on my third planting of veggie's and my second round of Planting in my flower beds. I made My Gardens from the scraggly lawn and have added organic material in the form of Mulch,Peat Moss,ground leaves, Chicken Manure, and Fish parts. Remember I retired so now have chickens, and fish a lot. LOL

I irrigate with soaker hoses bedding into the planting areas. I use an Impulse sprinkler for the times it does not rain for over 6 days. I just canned 8 quarts of spagetti sauce from the first batch of Tomatos. The water mellons are huge, the Squash is productive and the Onions and beets and Collards,turnip,Mustard greens provided me with plenty to do in the cooler months.

What you have to do is Mulch, water, fertilize and maintain a garden that uses the seasons and not what you are used to in a Colder Climate.

Camilias in full bloom for Christmas is a sight that pleases the eyes. The Hybred Yellow roses on the south side of my house Blooms from September until April.

Remember that you had Five months of no Plants outside up North and that with Proper planning and consiteration for the type of seasons you have here you CAN have gardening all year long here in Patterson GA.

Good luck and Keep the Green Side UP!

• cindyabs
    17 years ago

I too yearn for the plants I grew up with in New England-lilacs, peonies, tulips, etc. However the old saying, when given lemons, make lemonade,holds true here. I have been planting Japanese maples because while there is nothing like fall in New England, these little fellas do put on a nice show here. Also I have heard that tree peonies can handle this climate? Don't know if it's true, but it's a thought.

• duanemobile
    17 years ago

I'm sorry for your frustration, but it sounds like you're still too stuck in your previous garden style to succeed much in the SE. The problem is not the climate (I'm in Mobile not Charleston, but I think it's very similar), which actually expands the range of possibilities quite considerably -- but you have to work WITH the climate and not against it. For example, gladiolus -- don't bother with the standard hybrids sold in catalogs and Home Depot -- you can make them do with much effort but it's easier to buy the flower spikes in a flower shop. Instead, grow the byzantine glads, which are more attractive and thrive in this climate, or the abyssinians. Don't bother with dahlias -- they're from the Mexican high plateau. Here's a short list of attractive perennials and bulbs that ought to thrive for you: tazetta family narcissus, Spanish bluebells (hyacinthoides), hippeastrums, Oxalis, gingers, bananas, elephant ears, neomaricas, crinums, justicias, pavonias, plumbagos, erythrinas, cupheas, hypoestes, daylilies, Lilium formosanum (this it the lily you should be growing in the deep south -- they're very straight), echinaceas, ruellias, tricyrtis, abutilons, strohmanthes, Persian shields, China roses, lantanas, setcreaseas, etc. Also, use lots of mulch to get through dry periods and don't over water. Finally, don't expect all these plants to make neat, cookie cutter, sculpted shapes. In the warm climate, many of these plants luxuriate and grow rampantly. Don't fight that -- adopt a more "cottage" garden style instead of a "formal" style.

• pagan
    17 years ago

there are some other good books you might try... I have a couple of garden books intended specifically for our zones and they have good advice. You can check the local libraries for ideas and titles... and the Clemson extension offices have good booklets too! Blooming Annie was right about the garden magazines - they seem to feel that the left coast is the only one that has any flowers or gardens on it!

Good luck and I hope things get better!

• BOBtheSCgardener
    17 years ago

dakini,

Here are a few fantastic books that really help explain the climate we have here in Charleston. H. Rehder's books discuss gardening on the North Carolina coast- very similar to Charleston except for some frost dates/minimum temps.. Barbara Sullivan's book is the best new book on perennials for the coastal climate. Both authors discuss some of the difficulties of gardening in this region (sandy soil, humidity, fungus, pests, etc.) and provide plants that thrive despite them.

GROWING A BEAUTIFUL GARDEN A Landscape Guide for the Coastal Carolinas by Henry Rehder (Discusses individual plants and their care/pests/problems)

CREATING A BEAUTIFUL LANDSCAPE Henry Rehder's Daily Guide
    by Henry Rehder (Tells you what you need to do and when- awesome!)

GARDEN PERENNIALS FOR THE COASTAL SOUTH by Barbara Sullivan (Be sure to check out the section: "Perennials to avoid: Don't even think of growing these plants here")

GARDEN GUIDE TO THE LOWER SOUTH by Trustees Garden Club Savanah, Georgia

All of these should be at the Main Library downtown to review and at the West Ashley Barnes and Noble to purchase. The Charleston Horticultural Society is a great organization to join to get connected with other local gardeners. They have regular tours of some of the great private gardens in the Lowcountry.

I own a landscaping bussiness here and still can't believe folks pay me to work in their gardens. It may seem like a challenge to garden here now, but with a little studying and elbow rubbing w/ other local gardeners, you'll do just fine.

Bob

ps. Grow a ginger lilly (super easy), enjoy its incredible aroma in late Summer-Fall, and I believe you'll have a change of heart!

• BOBtheSCgardener
    17 years ago

HMMMMM???

""If you simply cannot find ANYTHING down here that grows well and that you like the look of then may I suggest you take up some form of indoor hobby? There's a few million of your expatriate compatriots down here doing the same. You'll be in good company.
    But first give yourself a chance to find the good in your new climate and stop trying to force your square northern plants into our round southern holes.
    .....Alan.""

Wow Allen,

Maybe I misinterpretted your words but it seems you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. A bit harsh, I'd say. I believe she's just frustrated. Keep it nice... we're southerners after all!

Bob

• sandcrab
    17 years ago

What a great post!

After 16 years in Santa Monica, gardening in pots on the patio, I could not wait to get back home and have a real garden of my own. What a disappointment it's been! L.A.'s mellow climate makes for glorious gardens, if you can afford the water bill. Here the heat and the occasional frost will break your heart if you are trying to recreate a nostalgic landscape. I had to take a lesson from my plants: adapt or die! I abandoned my vision of what having my own garden would be like, and now I am trying to tolerate the chaos as my learning process takes its course. I look at gardens to see what's growing well, take snapshots, and show them to the nice folks at Hyams for identification. Lately the book Month-by-month Gardening in Georgia is giving me encouragement. I'm in my third year and see that cannas, bananas, taros and bamboo are giving me a tropical look well suited to casual island life, and nothing beat the red bell peppers I raised last summer. Winter is ugly but brief and a good time to enjoy growing vegetables like potatoes, broccoli, collards, lettuce and kale. (The absence of bugs is also a plus.) Some of these coli vegetables are so beautiful that I use them as ornamentals.

One elder fellow said to me that God is his landscape architect. He has a point. Gardening here is nothing if not a process.

So many folks chiming in here with encouragement and valuable information. Thanks to you all!

• armyyife
    17 years ago

I have lived here in Summerville,SC for 11 years now and I don't have any problems gardening except for the fact I have heavy clay and have to amend it. Other then that I have grown a number of cottage type plants and have done just fine. I hate tropical plants as I lived in FL for 6 years before here and want nothing to do with them. I am starting roses this spring and have plenty of garden friends who grow all sorts of stuff in fact it amazes me how much of a variety you can grow here. My family is from RI and they envy the fact that I have can have so much color for much longer periods then they can and that many of the plants that are annuals there are perennial's here. By the way I have had no problems with glads and a neighbor of mine grows tons of them. Maybe you have them in a bad spot and the wind is blowing them down or you don't have them dug far enough in the ground?

• alex_7b
    17 years ago

It sounds like you've seen some desert plants doing OK. Is your 'soil' sand?

Try this:
    www.sepalms.org

Members grow a large variety of subtropicals, including palms, callas, gingers, citrus hybrids...........

I know there are hundreds of members in SC; give it a try!

Here is a link that might be useful: SE Palms and Subtropical Plants

Sponsored
More Discussions