Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeribelle_gw

I treated the lawn and beds for fire ants today

jeribelle
20 years ago

WalMart had their Amdro on sale, so I sprang for enough to broadcase the entire yard and shrub/flower beds. I am so eaten up from the stupid fire ants - definitely no candidate for a foot model here! Anyhow, ran out of the Amdro for going back and spot-treating the mounds, so should probably go get some more tomorrow. I don't know how you folks stand gardening with these pesky buggers down here in the South! ouchies

jeribelle

Comments (5)

• Dorie_in_Alabama
    20 years ago

Do you have a large yard??? The broadcast application rate for Amdro is 1 1/2 pounds per acre, which is not very much! I had a friend who owned a nursery. He complained that fire ant control was killing his profits. THEN he was talked into applying it according to the label rate.....and cut his pesticide application budget by an enormous amount!

Also, don't stock up on Amdro. It does not have a long shelf life.

Good luck, I hope you get rid of the darn things. They can make life miserable.

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I checked the coverage on the bag when I bought it, and I agree, they don't add much inert ingredients to their product, which would lead people to over-apply it, costing way more than necessary. I am already seeing results, whooppee. Got bitten one time outside today, compared to the covering of bites on my feet the last while every time I ventured out to garden. I didn't know the Amdro has a short shelf life, though. Thanks for alerting me. I hope the product I bought is still effective to do the job.

The corner lot here has a very large frontage, but nothing compared to what your friend has to deal with. I can't imagine having that kind of maintenance - those buggers have been out to kill me this year!
    jeribelle

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

Oh, fire ants, sand gnats, tiger mosquitoes, alligators, rattlesnakes, and sharks...that is God's way of telling us that we don't live in Eden here...without them it'd be way too close!

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

Oh, Yeah!!! I am just sooooo thankful that he let us keep the trees.

I think I finally got rid of all my fire ants. I use Othene. Stinks to high heaven, but a little goes a long way because I catch the beds when they are small. I spied one suspicious spot yesterday and when it quits raining, it gets the treatment.

Good luck Jeribelle......fire ants bites are just one way of making you feel part of the community. If you are still displaying spots from last year's bites, you belong!!
    PB

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ok, friends, I am officially a Savannahian, now! I have scars from last year's fire ant bites to prove it. Thanks for the welcome, friends, but you know, you could do it without the pesky bugs.

Anyhow, I'm hoping the Amdro I bought hasn't lost its potency...I may try that Othene next time, as I got nailed by a nest-full (hidden) day before yesterday. Maybe my lawn was just so infested there wasn't enough bait to go round?!

jeribelle

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
More Discussions