Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbc_gw

besides Ivan, how about Jeanne?

BarbC
19 years ago

Just saw the 5 day projection for Jeanne... not good... not good...

Comments (18)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

too soon to tell yet...but wothout a high pressure system to our east, thinggs look good for us. If we break out of this pattern and start to cook again by the weekend or early next week( 87 degrees and sunshine), well, then watch out. Or least thats what I've been told.

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

She looks terribly familiar...

Like Hugo.

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

Oh CaseysMom, Puhleeze don't say that. Those old images from 9/22/89 keep bubbling up as I watch the folks in FL and the Gulf Coast.

• dancingdachshunds
    19 years ago

All the old-timers in Charleston are saying that Jeanne is the one to watch! I'm going to wait awhile to get upset, tho; This is getting really old.... Guerry

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

It is getting old...real old.

I'm weary.
    Her path is not quite the same as Hugo at this point. But let's hope she makes a right turn
    & heads out to the north Atlantic. The graveyard for hurricanes.

Here is the map for tonite:

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

Yeah, Oh goody. Grandma's china in the floor , cat on the front seat, dogs in the back, yarn stash in the trunk!
    Sue

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Huricane Jeanne is not forecat to get any bigger than a CAT 2. Still scary, but no Hugo. And IVAN the Terrible that just hit the Gulf....well it wasn't a HUGO either, but it is still a monster...nor for that matter was Charley a "Hugo".. Hugo belongs in the annals of storm history like The Keys Storm, the Galveston Storm, Camille and Andrew. I hope Ivan loses his punch quickly so the good folks in Alabama don't lose too much. Back to Jeanne: The current forecast does indeed have it coming very close to the coast...closer than the above copied NOAA link...the updated NOAA link has it barrelling for land.

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Does anyone remember when our TV weather people started worrying about Charlie? Seems like they got the entire SE coast upset before it started to head for the Gulf.

It seems like MONTHS.

I think we might just get something froma Jeanne unless it turns to the east soon.

However, the latest advisory from NOAA wants to remind everyone that the average error in their calulations is 375 miles. That's the difference between having the eye pass over your house and having a light drizzle.

PB

• BarbC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

375 miles is a huge margin for error - 2 states difference.

11pm Thur night projection... (this morning's isn't up yet)

GULP!

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Same projection at 8:00 am. Friday...which means that by that time they storm could be where it is projected to be on the map, or it could be in Miami.....or Savannah...or Wilmington, NC. I think we'll all have a better idea come Monday morning...but this warm, sunny weather we will have this weekend will only help steer this puppy closer to us. Southern South Carolina, Georgia, and Northern Florida have been too lucky, for too long. The last Hurricane to Hit Daytona Beach Directly? 1964. Jacksonville? 1960. Savannah? 1978. We are naturally protected by the curve westward in the coastline, but really folks, we are overdue. Lets be thankful that in the same above-mentioned areas ( basically Beaufort, SC to damn near Cape Canaveral, FL) that the biggest Hurricane we have had this century was only a CAT 2. Thats right, no CAT 3 or bigger has hit that large stretch of coast since the 1800's. But keep it kind of a secret, will ya? Property values are already sky high here!

• BarbC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, now that's kewl... the link updates its self... LOL The one I posted showed it going at a 90º angle right into Fla by Tues. Now its going to just sit there and do nothing. Hmmm...

But they have wavered all the way from a Fla landfall to turning out to sea - and just over the past 24 hours. At least we know one thing... its almost nothing right now... she got the wind knocked out of her, so to speak.

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Barb?
    What is the link for those maps?

thanks
    PB

• BarbC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

Now she has split in two. Yawn. Next.

• BarbC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Look at the little summersault they have her doing now. LOL

• BarbC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Rut-roh... look again!

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Oh...it'd be nice to keep her west of Savannah ( the Good side of storm, if there truly is such a thing). Charley passed by Savannah EXACTLY like that and we didn't feel a thing. Nada, zip, zero. However, Charley was a very small storm, only about 120 miles across. Frances was huge and Jeanne is in the middle. If Jeanne comes THAT close to our west, we are in trouble anyway with Jeanne. Just not as much trouble as the folks in E. Central Florida and Beaufort to Charleston SC folks. It is supposed to be a CAT 2 at both landfalls!

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

I'm cooking stuff today in case I lose power. Charging the phone, putting in batteries. Another day in paradise!