Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeribelle_gw

Caladiums over the winter

jeribelle
20 years ago

Hi folks,

How do you guys overwinter your caladiums? I have more than I want to try and bring inside, and didn't have good success in them living through the winter in the ground here on the islands. Did I not have them in a protected-enough area (in ground)? What if they were more sheltered, in ground?

jeribelle

Comments (21)

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

If you leave them in the ground, a few will sprout back next year. That's about it. I don't think it is a matter of temperature, although they don't like cold, they need to be kept dry during the dormant period. We have too much winter moisture. They rot. To carry them over, you will need to dig them now and let them dry and rest until spring.

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

What medium works for storing them so they don't mold for me? Never overwintered tubers or bulbs before...lol.
    jeribelle

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

I don't know if you need any kind of special medium. In fact, I think that might keep them from drying well. Check out my favorite site for this area and do a search.

'The Garden Guide to the Lower South' states for November:

'Dig and Store caladium bulbs before frost. (I think November might be waiting a little late) Remove foliage, dust with a fungicide and store in a stocking or onion bag (for air circulation) where the temperature is near 60º.'

So you wouldn't want to put them in any kind of medium. then it recommends that you start planting them again in March. continue 'til July.

I love caladiums, but I confess that I am not planting anything that I have to dig back up again to save. Nope, I answer to the name of Lazy when it comes to work. LOL

Take care. School going OK?????
    PB

Here is a link that might be useful: Caladiums

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oh sheesh, guys.
    Got the caladiums out of the pots, ran up to Walmart on Whitmarsh Island, and doggone it, they have no fungicide! They have replaced most of their nursery shelving and storage with Christmas merchandise, and had not one gardening item I went in for! I am so discouraged by it, as those who live here know it's quite a trek to the other end of Savannah for basic stuff at HD or Lowes.

The store has been advised no more storage in trailers, so they aren't ordering anything for lawn and garden, due to lack of storage! Stinky.

Since there were no prices on the few clay pots they had left, I left with only some potting soil. I'm poking holes in the bottoms of fishing bait buckets to repot the stuff that needed to go into bigger pots in them, and Walmart just lost a decent sale.

jeribelle

• ginabug
    20 years ago

Did you notice if they put the leftover neglected citrus trees on sale?
    If so, I would love to have one.

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sorry, ginabug, I didn't look at plants...I must have a fever here, not looking at plants! I'll have to go back now, lol.
    jeribelle

• WannaBGardener
    20 years ago

Guess all the Wal Marts are doing the shelf space thing this year. In Pensacola yesterday I was looking for epson salts to feed my palms, and the garden clerk sent me over to Pharmacy. They had to get rid of it in the garden area to make room for Christmas stuff. Had loads of plants marked 1/2 price, and I picked up two (gal. size) Hidden Gingers for $5. :-)

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Dang, I wish I was out of school and had the funds to purchase some of those sale plants! Lol, but I have GWers who have been so generous and traded and gifted me with so many nice things, that every day is Christmas when I go to my mailbox! Lol, you go girl, and buy those gingers!

I have been so blessed this year that mama sago has spit out so many seeds, that I've been able to trade for some gingers myself, and hoping to have some of those gorgeous plants myself blooming in the near future. The school has put in a ginger garden this past year, and it's one of my favorite places to pass by. I did ask about picking up clippings and such, but was advised that the school will have a booth at AASU day and I can purchase plants from them on that day....doggone, they sure forget easily the days when they were students without money!
    jeribelle
    jeribelle

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

Jeribell...... I went over to your website...lovely pictures!! Looking at your unknowns, you may be right about #1 and #2. Maybe #4 is a brug too. But #3 doesn't look like anything to me.

Maybe someone here can go over and give you an ID.

The Confederate Roses are beginning to bloom. When mine loses it's leaves, would you like some cuttings? They root like crazy.
    PB

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Jeribelle, years ago a caladium grower from Lake Placid, FL told me to just dig the bulbs and spread them out on newspaper to dry for about 2 weeks, until the soil just brushed off. Then just store them in a box - she suggested I put the box under my bed for the winter. Instead, I chose a shelf in the garage with the bulbs in dry peat to insulate them and it worked well for me.
    Good luck, Ali

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

PeaBee, thank you for your nice comments. I've been mostly interested in getting the photos, and am not a 'webbie' builder, lol. The flowers and plants you see on the site are almost entirely the result of GardenWebbers' generosity! For that you should all be very pleased that you have made a little piece of Eden here for me.

And yes, PeaBee, I'd love some cuttings of your Confederate Roses! I have admired them in other peoples' gardens, and they are something that's been a 'want' of mine since I moved here from the cold north. Let me know when you're ready.

And thanks again folks, for trying to help me id some plants. I think I'll try and put some of the more tender plants in better pots and begin cleaning them up for winter. Oh how I wish I had a greenhouse! I just love to dream big, ha.

jeribelle

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    20 years ago

jeribelle, while you were in the Pharmacy, you could have bought a little jar of sulfur, works fine as fungicide.

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks FoxesEarth, I wish I had thought that one through myself! See, there's so much info collectively amongst the GW community, and once again you guys come through.
    jeribelle

• catnip_zone7
    20 years ago

help! I know the plants i've had in the ground are caladiums. I mean, I pulled them up on caladium.com and looked at mine and looked online, they are the same.
    Anyways,I dug them up to store for the winter, but there are NO BULBS? There are NO tubers, just roots? Just a long good root system. Am I crazy? Do I still dry out the plants and store them? Sometimes this plant thing is SO confusing. :(

PSSt: I dug up my elephant ears and yes, they are bulbs. Do I store them the same way as caladiums? Also, the "mother" elephant ear bulb has a part of it thats rotten. Do I have to throw the whole bulb away or see if it's viable next year once it dries out?

• catnip_zone7
    20 years ago

would I have PHILODENDRON?

• raymikematt
    20 years ago

Do you have a pic by any chance??? I would love to see what you have.

• catnip_zone7
    20 years ago

Alocasia Colocasia perhaps? I'll take a picture this week as I'm bringing them in to pot up over the winter. They look like split-leaf philodendron, or elephant ears, but they ONLY HAVE ROOTS. No tuber, no bulb. I'm just baffled. I will take a pic this week!

• catnip_zone7
    20 years ago

i haven't forgotten. Having to recharge my battery on the digital camera. Anyone know something that LOOKS like split-leaf philodendron or mini-elephant ears or caldiums but only have roots?
    If it's any help, I pulled them out of a floral arrangement.

• Pcola
    20 years ago

Many say to dust with fungicide after drying. Is this necessary? What kind of fungicide and where do you get it?

• raymikematt
    20 years ago

Still waiting on that pic catnip ;) Im impatient as you can tell..lol Michael

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Captan and sulfur are two of the recommended fungicides.

Sponsored
More Discussions