Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingdachshunds

Evergreen suggestions? Zone 8b

dancingdachshunds
19 years ago

I want to plant a screening border along my side-back property line. It is about 75 feet long and I would like to use a combination of evergreen and deciduous small trees and shrubs. I am going to begin with the evergreen backbone, and want lots of variety in texture, tree shape, and color, for winter interest. What are your favorite evergreens for this use? The border will be in full sun with dry, sandy soil. Thanks for your suggestions! Guerry

Comments (8)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Well....that will be hard to do xeriscape wise....most of my list will need an occasional drink of water....but here is a list that I am sure others will add greatly too: Indica azaleas, camellia sassanqua, camellia japonica, camellia sinesis, feijoa sellowiana, citrus reticulata ( satsuma orange) gardenia jasmoinides var "Miami Supreme" and please don't forget the "tea olive" ( I forget the latin name). All of this are evergreen, all flower, some are fragrant, some fruit, some do all 3.

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

Guerry, I found a beautiful blue evergreen (everblue?)at the Chas. Farmers Market one Saturday last year and it has held it's blue color well. I have no idea which variety it might be but I believe there is a Clemson Blue Cypress, maybe that is what it is. The booth where I found it was right along King Street. They usually sell cut flowers and bring everything in an old timey pick-up truck which they park right there on the street. They were in the same spot this year. If you get up there, take a look and see what you think. am

• dancingdachshunds
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Islander, I would be glad to give them a drink! I just wanted to give an idea of the general conditions. Thanks for your ideas; I have put them on my list! Datawgal, Blue would be great! I'll go to the mkt and see if I can find one. (and I lost your email address). Thanks guys... Guerry

• Scott_K
    19 years ago

Look for Arizona Cypress (var.glabra "Blue Sapphire") They grow them as Christmas trees at the tree farms on John's Island. Here is another suggestion. At Wal-Mart(I know... I know....) they sell tiny blue evergreens at Christmas in one quart foil wrapped containers. One that they sell is an Italian Stone Pine. The other is a kind of Chamaecyparis lawsonia that makes a really nice looking little blue conifer.I have one of each of these trees that I bought 3 years ago. If you wait until around the first of the year you can pick up a tree for about fifty cents. The Arizona cypress gets to be rather large, which I read from your conifer forum post, was something that you did not want. The Arizona cypress that I would look for is called "Blue Ice". It is VERY blue. They all are rather suseptible to canker after a few years in the Southeast, I guess because of humidity and excessive rainfall.
    The chamaecyparis obtusa conifers are wonderful. They perform well, they don't grow that fast, and I think that they look awesome. A blue Arizona, a Golden Hinoki, and a burgandy Japanese maple would make a great looking planting.
    Don't buy a Blue Star juniper from the big box stores. They need a cool dry climate. They will melt into a brown mass here. Hope this helps. Scott

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

Scott, I bet I have a Blue Saphire, thanks for the ID and thanks for the ideas about getting those little Wal Mart trees after the holidays.
    Guerry, you've got mail.
    ali

• dancingdachshunds
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Scott, thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to buy the WM evergreens BEFORE Christmas, use them as decorations, and then plant them! That idea really appeals to me. I looked everything up, and the plants all seem like great choices...Guerry

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Don't forget the viburnums. They mix well with loquart (Japanese plum) Also for spring bloom, the oriental magnolias.

PB

• BarbC
    19 years ago

I love my loquat. Nice evergreen tree with big leaves (and not too big)

Shrub-wise, I also like the ligustrums... especially the variegated ones... and they are very tolerant of dry full-sun areas.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions