Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingdachshunds

Conifer suggestions? Zone 8b

dancingdachshunds
19 years ago

I am starting a new bed along a side property line in the backyard, in front of a tall open-work fence. I like the idea/look of a backbone of mixed conifers/evergreens interplanted with small deciduous trees, with a mixture of evergreen and deciduous shrubs in front of that. Does anyone have any suggestions for conifers in Zone 8b? I have no experience using them. What I would like would be fast-growing, drought tolerant, 10-15 feet tall and up to 4 feet wide at maturity. The area is in full sun, dry sandy soil. Is this an impossible wish list? Thanks for suggestions. Guerry

Comments (14)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Italian cypress...although it will be taller than you want, it will probably be the only one that will be as narrow a you want.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    19 years ago

You probably know through observation that your area is not a very good one for many needle-leaf evergreens. Other than junipers, that is!!!! Your size limitations narrow it down, too!! The Italian Cypress is about the only needle leaf evergreen I can think of that will be as narrow as you wish. However, you can take a look at 'Sky Pencil' holly, a very unique fastigiate form japanese holly. Not a rapid grower, however.

• dancingdachshunds
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your answers! I guess using conifers exclusively is going to narrow my choices too much. I want variety and contrast in texture, color, and tree shape. I'm going to post another message asking for a wider variety of suggestions. Everybody post their favorites! ...Guerry

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

How about this one??

Just a thought~it stays thin & the color on these are always gorgeous...

Here is a link that might be useful: Barberry

• dancingdachshunds
    Original Author
    19 years ago

CaseysMom, That barberry looks good...the whole page looked pretty. Thanks! Guerry

• arauquoia
    19 years ago

There are more conifer options for the hot and humid Southeast, but we have to think to SE Asia, which has a similar climate.

Here are some ideas:

all the Cryptomerias, many of which are dwarf (plus, the Cryptomerias vary so widely in appearance that you could get a nicely mixed border using only them)

Cunninghamia, of which there is now a dwarf

Fokienia, from Vietnam and Laos

At home, there is the bald cypress, admittedly not a dwarf, but the pendulous varieties can be kept in check.

Surprisingly, the Coastal redwood of California thrives here -- normally, of course, a giant, but there are some prostrate varieties now.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    19 years ago

Cryptomerias do not fare well in the coastal 8b area in South Carolina.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

rhizo: Please elaborate....what has been your experience over there with them?

• sandyhill
    19 years ago

Many junipers do well in that setting and they come in so many color / size / shape options, including a few "mini italian cypress" looking forms. Hetzii, etc

The 'Sky Pencil' holly is super, and evergreen bayberry is another good native. You'd need to train it to the size you'd want, but they are VERY easy to trim.

I LOVE the look of a mixed scrub / shrub hedge or thicket. I'll try to post pics of some nice local ones.

Try Cuppressus arizonica - Arizona Cypress if you want a bigger, blue tree. I'm not fond of Leyland Cypress, but it might work for you. Podocarpus macrophyllus is cool if you have shade - use the dwarf 'Maki' if space is tight.

PS - My cryptos are doing ok in sandy coastal zone 8A, so far anyway.

• dancingdachshunds
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Sandy. Please, post some pics! That would be great for inspiration. I have started on the border, but have many more spaces to fill in there. I will probably be working on it all winter. Guerry

• gurley157fs
    19 years ago

For contrast and texture I have planted Yew. Not sure of the name but it is the shorter 'needle' Yew, not the long needle. Takes full sun, can grow tall and can be pruned to whatever shape. I like the shorter needle (I'm not sure if they are really needles) because they shape easier. It can sometimes be a slow grower though. I like it because it can take the full sun and the constant abuse it recieves around my husbands shop doors.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    19 years ago

I was also going to suggest the Arizona Cypress for some blue color which is not common in conifers down here. Would give some variety. May get too large for you though.
    Theresa

• sandyhill
    19 years ago

There are some nice blue upright junipers too, not so big.

• nandina
    19 years ago

Perhaps Podocarpus which remains narrow and upright should be added to the list. Takes shearing well, if necessary. Also, either Yaupon holly or the weeping form might work for your border.

Sponsored
More Discussions