Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savannarose_gw

picket fence nightmare! a word to the wise...

savannarose
17 years ago

After saving up for 4 years I finally contracted a major installation service to build some picket fence in front of my home. Never was it stated that a building permit was needed, even tho' this huge company builds fence in the Savannah area on a regular basis.

The long and short of this sad story is that yes, indeed, a permit is required for fence in Chatham County, tho' generally most folks are unaware of it. It seems to only be enforced when a neighbor complains to the county and building and safety then steps in and does their duty.

I now have to pay several hundred dollars for a survey to determine if the fence, which is set back 12" from the sidewalk, is actually on my property. Plus the fence was built while I was at work & is easily a foot higher than I would liked it to have been, and the corner which is the first view folks have driving in the subdivision, was not built well. Hence the complaints.The whole thing looks funky and will have to be redone,IF building and safety even allows me to. Perhaps this might save a reader a repeat episode in the future....Has anyone in our area gone thru' something like this? Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction
More Discussions